Some Advice needed on adding new node or san/nas

gerdnl

Oct 21, 2013
Hi all,

i currently have 3 node running on proxmox 3.4

node1: 8x intel xeon cpu e5405 2.00ghz 2 sockets (2 network ports)
node2: 8x intel xeon cpu e5405 2.00ghz 2 sockets (2 network ports)
node3: 24x intel xeon cpu e52620 v2 2.10 ghz 2 sockets (4 network ports)

I buyed a new server wich i want to use to make HA working
- 8x intel xeon 2.9ghz 8 mb cache, 4x 240gig ssd with lsi megaraid + lsi cachevault (4 network ports)

Can i do it like this? what can i best install on the new server? san/nas?
Does it even gona work with node3 not being the same as node1/2, node3 already retransmits alot to 1/2

What would be your advice?
Go on with making HA happen by making the new server a san or nas or dont go for it and just make it node 4

i already decided to stay with 3.4 for now, can always go 4.* later on

Where is HA in your setup? One machine cannot be considered HA. You can of course use the new server as a NAS (via NFS/Samba) or SAN (iSCSI), and have a working Cluster with live migration, but HA needs two storage servers, or distributed shared storage via glusterfs.

i gues 4x gigabit network has a limit to right in read/write access
im not experienced with that do, im not doing extreem work on my nodes do

Are you looking to just use the 4th server as storage? and not spread across all servers?

I mean you looking to use a single node with storage presented via NFS for example, or using storage across all servers using CEPH for example.

i would like to use it across all nodes, i want vm's to trans automatically from 1 node to another when 1 node goes down.

i didnt read much about seph yet, could that be a solution to, create a ceph from node storage and use it as HA

If you use CEPH and have 4 nodes you can lose any without issue, if you use one for storage if you lose that node no matter what you will loose the VM's.

ashley, i will read more about seph, so i got this right? i can use seph on the nodes i already have. can i set this up without messing with the existing proxmox on it, so beside it. i will read more else i probaly ask to much stupid questions :D

With CEPH you need to have free storage / disks available on each node you can convert into OSD's.

You can then setup a storage pool across multiple servers.

node 1 and 2 only have 2 gig ports (these dont have a expansion slot) SATA
node 3 has 4 gig ports (this on has a expansion slot) SATA
node 4 has 4 gig ports (this on has a expansion slot) SSD

2 node ceph wont work right? i think node1/2 arent good enough for the task so i kinda have 2 good nodes

any ideas?

Ceph on all servers will technically work, but you will not have fun with it. I'll to slow due to limited network bandwidth and local storage speed - Depending on your needs, 2 or 4 GBE would be ok if you do not write a lot.

With your given hardware, it is hard to create a HA setup. One way to go would be DRBD on two nodes and a third as quorum. then you'll have HA where 1 of 3 nodes can fail and everything will still work. Please refer to https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/DRBD
Another way would be glusterfs and replicate to each node. This will be more network intensive, but also work.

so if i want to go seph, i would need to upgrade 1 node to sdd also, get 1 more ssd node. add more gig ports to each, lets say 8 on each to avoid having to buy a 10g switch, remove node1/2 pretty old server, or use it for something else, somehow DRBD doesnt appeal to me

why is it btw that 2 node ceph doesnt work?

so if i want to go seph, i would need to upgrade 1 node to sdd also, get 1 more ssd node. add more gig ports to each, lets say 8 on each to avoid having to buy a 10g switch, remove node1/2 pretty old server, or use it for something else, somehow DRBD doesnt appeal to me

why is it btw that 2 node ceph doesnt work?

A 2 node CEPH cluster does work, however its recommended to always use a replication of 3 on CEPH.

Something you can't really do too well with 2 nodes, and will always require a 3rd small node for quorm.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!