[SOLVED] - ZFS Single Disk Failure

chrisj2020

Jul 8, 2020
Hi there,

I'm running Proxmox 7, across a bunch of Intel NUC's, each with 2 drives installed. The first drive is an NVME, hosting the proxmox install itself. The secondary is a SATA SSD which is configured for a ZFS volume called zfs-core. This is the ZFS volume configuration across all nodes in the Proxmox Cluster.

One of the disks, in one of the nodes has failed, and I've a replacement on the way. The links I've read assume a multi-disk ZFS volume, whereas mine is a single disk setup. I'm really struggling with the replacement steps I need to follow. Can someone help me plan for this with steps / commands I should run?

Cheers,
Chris

I have not configured it so far. The same zfs volume is defined at the cluster level. But I don’t have any vms being replicated yet

All sorted. Easier than I expected. I found the command below failed because as each node only has a single disk, the zfs volume (called zfs-core) was no longer available on the cluster node in question. So I did the following:

1. Shutdown and replace the failed SSD/HDD. Start the Cluster node back up.
2. Browse to the node in question, and click Disks. This shows the disks attached - showing the new disk.
3. Select "Disks" (in my case /dev/sda/) and click "Initiailize Disk with GPT"
4. Select "ZFS" under "Disks", then "Create: ZFS"
5. Add in the old zfs name (zfs-core in my case), then select your new disk, and de-select "Add Storage"

Thats it - the volume has come back up, and joined the cluster volume assigned to the Proxmox Cluster, and I'm able to move VM/CT between nodes again.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!