[solved] Storage Content terms definitions

seron

Feb 5, 2014
(title changed from "Only local (default) storage available in Create VM")

I've just started with my first Proxmox setup and have added some directories in the Storage tab in the browser GUI. However the directories do not appear in the Hard disk->Storage drop-down list in the Create VM dialog. Only the local directory appears there and I don't understand why. Please help.

Here's my /etc/pve/storage.cfg:
Code:
dir: local
    path /var/lib/vz
    content images,iso,vztmpl,rootdir
    maxfiles 0

dir: containers_zfs
    path /tank/containers
    content rootdir
    maxfiles 0
    nodes pve-lab-1

dir: isos_zfs
    path /tank/isos
    shared
    content iso

maxfiles 0

Also, my node is red in Storage view, but green in the other two views. Could it have something to do with my problem?

edit: I found that the storage Content setting needs to include Images for it to show up in the VM creation dialog. Where are these content options defined?

Last edited:
Re: Only local (default) storage available in Create VM

edit: I found that the storage Content setting needs to include Images for it to show up in the VM creation dialog. Where are these content options defined?
Hi,
Datacenter -> Storage -> select Storage (type directory) edit -> Content
For some types Content isn't available, because only images possible.

Udo

Hi,
Datacenter -> Storage -> select Storage (type directory) edit -> Content
For some types Content isn't available, because only images possible.

Thanks Udo. I know about setting the content. What I am not sure about is what those terms mean.

Ok, I updated storage model page with recent new storage types (and screenshots) and added some content type note:

http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage_Model#Storage_type_Content

please review and correct/suggest

Marco
Hi Marco,
you can add the directory-structure to give an understandig where the files are stored.

Like:
Images (./images on filesystem) ...
Backups: (./dump) ...
ISO: (./template/iso) ...
Templates: ( ./template/cache) ...

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!