SOLVED: SolusVM KVM to Proxmox Migration

ejmerkel

Sep 20, 2012
I've been working on a project to migration some KVM VM's from SolusVM to Promox. My first two migrations I have been able to get them working. However, I just copied a third and for some reason the image is not showing any partitions.

Here is the process I've been using.
  1. Take LVM snapshot of currently running SolusVM KVM CentOS7 instance.
  2. dd the snapshot and copy it to the Proxmox Hypverisor
  3. Create a new KVM on the Proxmox server with LVM disks the same size as the source
  4. dd the raw snapshot image to the LVM device ie vm-VMID-disk-0
  5. Boot the new VM with CentOS 7 rescue CD and fix device names, update initramfs, etc and reboot
Again that process has worked twice for me. This 3rd time, when I boot the new VM with a rescue CD, it shows the device /dev/sda but there are no linux partitions. There should be a / and swap partition on the drive. I verified the source and destinations are the same size.

What could cause this? What am I missing?

Best regards,
Eric

aaron

Proxmox Staff Member
Staff member
Jun 3, 2019
Have you tried the process a second time?

Maybe something went wrong in the steps from making a copy, moving the copy to the Proxmox VE node and then applying the copy to the new virtual disk.

All in all, this is a viable option to migrate your VMs.

ejmerkel

Sep 20, 2012
Have you tried the process a second time?

Maybe something went wrong in the steps from making a copy, moving the copy to the Proxmox VE node and then applying the copy to the new virtual disk.

All in all, this is a viable option to migrate your VMs.
Yes, I've tried a couple times varying the block size, etc but still for some reason the image lacks any partition information.

ejmerkel

Sep 20, 2012
Well, I finally got it working. The image size was 45G and that is the size I created in Proxmox. On a hunch I just created a 50G and re-synched the image and it worked. I am guessing the source image was just a small bit bigger than 48?

In any case it is working now. :)

aaron

Proxmox Staff Member
Staff member
Jun 3, 2019
Great to hear. What does the partition table of the VM show?

Also, if your problem is solved please mark the thread as solved :)

ejmerkel

Sep 20, 2012
The partitions now show correctly.

NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 50G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 44.5G 0 part /
└─sda2 8:2 0 512M 0 part [SWAP]

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE and Proxmox Mail Gateway. We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get your own in 60 seconds.

Buy now!