[SOLVED] - Replacement HBA 9300-16i not showing disks to Proxmox host

andymanperth

May 20, 2022
Hi All,

I have already resolved my issue but I am just doing this post to show how my mindset at the time steered me down a rabbit hole of brute-force clicking and how a simple command highlighted the problem

TLDR; before rage-clicking firmware on your newly installed mystery HBA you got from ebay ........... try lspci -vv for some easy hints of whats going on

BACKGROUND: I had a 9207-8i + SAS expander that I use for host storage. I recently swapped these with a 9300-16i that I got for cheap off ebay to also use as host storage

ISSUE: Drives not visible to Proxmox but the device was recognized as a pci device. I immediately accused the card of having bad firmware

RESOLUTION: After getting mad at the card I set about rage-clicking all manner of firmware/bios combinations. The 9300 is a bit unusual in that it shows up as two discrete 9300-8i controllers and there are posts going around that claim you can flash a 9300-16i into IT mode that presents as single controller. I felt that had something to do with my problems. I was also led astray by the fact the card had a very very old firmware and I thought I had someones failed crossflashed card experiment

Cycle repeats.. frustration intensifies

Eventually I tried lspci -vv and could see that the card had grabbed the VFIO kernal driver. Fixed that and the card worked perfectly after booting

I still that feel accusing the the card of being bad was a valid emotion.. but the thing I did wrong was not trying the easy tools first

Reactions: leesteken

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!