[SOLVED] [REFERENCE] - Linux KDE Plasma VM Migration Issues from unRAID

IanJSaul

Dec 7, 2021
Aloha fellow Proxmoxers,

I'm jotting down a few notes, just in case anyone runs into these migration issues coming over from the unRAID world, or virtualizing in a similar fashion as I am.

OpenSUSE Tumbleweed + KDE Plasma running on X570 with NVIDIA GPU Passthrough via patched vBIOS.

This was tricky to get operational on unRAID, aside from just the ROM dump/patching standpoint, OpenSUSE has some additional frustrations with NVIDIA that Arch derivatives don't suffer from.

Migrating it to Proxmox was a longer process than I'd assumed, and this came down to two separate issues:

1. X11/SDDM/KDE (undetermind) was failing due to the inclusion of VMMOUSE related QEMU hardware emulation, I finally found a single post related to it from only a few days ago, and removing xf86-input- vmmouse resolved this part.
2. NVIDIA/Intel audio failing, due to snd_hda_intel. Initially, I verified my MoBo audio controller was already disabled, then I disabled snd_hda_intel in the Proxmox grub, and finally, also disabled it in the OpenSUSE grub, via - rd.driver.blacklist=snd_hda_intel module.blacklist=snd_hda_intel

Reboot, and voila - SDDM with a blinking password prompt, joy of joys that it wasn't frozen for the umpteenth time.

KDE and all audio + system functions appear correct, as pre-migration, hopefully with greater transfer speed now on dedicated disks, along with increased stability.

When debating ESXi vs Proxmox - the direction these products are moving in was the deciding factor, and I hope there will be wider adoption soon. It seems that a number of the YouTube content creators I follow are actively moving into Proxmox, which is exciting.

Cheers, -Ian

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!