[SOLVED] proxmox host nvme disk failed, now my vm's won't boot.

Venom

Dec 2, 2021
The nvme drive where proxmox is installed on failed on my host, so I had to get a new nvme drive and reinstall Proxmox. My vm storage pools are located on different disks, now I didn't have a backup of the vm's configuration files. So what I did is recreate one of the vm's I wanted to restore with smaller disks, then because the original disks are still in tact I edited the vm configuration file and replaced the new disks with the original disk. When I now boot my vm from the RHEL9.1 iso into troubleshooting mode I can chroot into the installation and I see my previous install. However when I reboot it seems like the vm isn't seeing the boot device because the vm keeps going into a restart loop. I opened the vm's boot menu but I can't select a harddisk there as boot device, I created another vm as a test, then going to that vm's boot menu as well and then I do see "virtio-scsi drive qemu har disk" as a boot option. So it's something in the vm's proxmox configuration that is causing it not to see my original disks in the vm "vm boot menu". Any ideas what it could be?

I figured it out under the vm options -> Boot Order the iscsi devices weren't enabled. Problem solved!

Reactions: leesteken

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!