[SOLVED] Problem when using HDMI port on laptops

felipejgribeiro

Jul 8, 2023
Hi all,

I have two old laptops with proxmox installed in both of them, working fine with VMs, LXCs, etc...
I bought a small kvm switch to work with both of the laptops with only 1 hdmi video screen, mouse and keyboard when I need to access them directly when boot fails or anything else I can't do via SSH for example.
They problem is when I try to use it, no image is displayed on the hdmi screen. I want to use this only for the proxmox hosts/servers. I don't want to passtrough anything to use the HDMI in a VM.
One thing that worked was to reboot the laptop with the kvm switch configured to use it and keep until the boot is done. The prompt shows fine and I can use it. BUT when I change the kvm to use the other laptop and then go back to the first one the display is not working anymore.
In both I configured the
Code:
/etc/systemd/logind.conf
with
Code:
HandleLidSwitch=ignore
so the laptops don't sleep when I close the lid and this is working fine.
But when I try to use the HDMI nothing happens. It looks like the main laptop display is still on even with the lid closed.
Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!

You kinda have to realize, this is not a normal use-case for proxmox. It's a hypervisor. Kinda used to running headless, with basic TTY login functionality provided at the console for "convenience" and likely emergency-use.

Typically you access the proxmox rootshell from the Web GUI via another pc, or ssh.

If you want an all-in-one desktop system, you can do that - it's built on Debian. This would likely solve your problem with the HDMI out to monitor, although I have no guarantees - you would have to test it.

Just be aware that a full desktop environment is going to be taking resources away from VMs and CTRs. I would recommend something like icewm or fluxbox, possibly Enlightenment or XFCE4 (and a minimum of browser tabs open) if you want to go resource-light. If you have at least 8-16GB RAM you should be more-or-less OK depending on what you want to run for VMs, but a modern 64-bit desktop is probably going to use ~1GB of RAM with the browser. And that's before ZFS ARC, if you're using it.

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Developer_Workstations_with_Proxmox_VE_and_X11

Hi @Kingneutron . Thanks for the reply, but I don't intend to use them as workstations.
These 2 laptops are inside a server cabinet and is not that easy when I need to access them, like when upgrading from proxmox 7 to 8, for example. It's not a good idea to do this via SSH or Web GUI because if anything happens, I need to have access to the console (the "real" console). The ideia is not to use the HDMI on a daily basis but just when I need to troubleshoot the server without the need to take the laptop out from the shelf and etc. Like you mentioned, for emergency-use. That's my only use case for this situation.
One day I had an attached SSD with some problem and the boot was stuck and I had to use the console from the laptop since the network didn't even start. Using a KVM attached to all my proxmox servers it will be way more easier to do this.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!