SOLVED: OS ID in /etc/os-release is set to "debian" while EFI boot dir is "proxmox"

EuroTrash2

Dec 13, 2023
EDIT: I did a fresh install and I'm unable to reproduce this.

Hi, this is a brand new install of Proxmox 8.1 from the ISO image. Fwupd BIOS updates should work on Proxmox as per documentation, but I haven't been able to get them to work out of the box. As per fwupd devs' response to this issue in fwupd GitHub, apparently it's a packaging issue on the Proxmox side. The Proxmox installer sets the OS ID in /etc/os-release to "proxmox" instead of "debian", while fwupd is expecting "debian" because it comes from the standard debian bookworm package, as per installed default /etc/apt/sources.list

As a workaround, I have temporarily changed the OS ID back to debian in order to perform the update:
Code:
sed -i "s/ID=proxmox/ID=debian/" /etc/os-release
[.. perform the update, reboot, and pray ..]
Code:
sed -i "s/ID=debian/ID=proxmox/" /etc/os-release

Last edited:
Reactions: gseeley
hi,

i don't know how or what you installed, but i cannot reproduce that here

a fresh iso install (8.1) and my /etc/os-release contains the following:

Code:
root@pve:~# cat /etc/os-release 
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="12"
VERSION="12 (bookworm)"
VERSION_CODENAME=bookworm
ID=debian
HOME_URL="https://www.debian.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://www.debian.org/support"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.debian.org/"

so no ID=proxmox anywhere

also i checked our sources for the installer and other relevant patches, and cannot find a single point where we touch the os-release file

Are you sure this is a plain 8.1 iso install? where did you acquire the ISO file? is there any other software running on top?

is it possible that your post here is backwards? i.e., fwupmgr works if you set os-release to proxmox, but not if it is set to debian (the default)? our standard Grub config and proxmox-boot-tool install Grub with "proxmox" as EFI vendor, so this way round it would make sense..

we do ship our own fwupd packages these days, so this should be fairly easy to fix.

This was an install of Proxmox 8.1-1 from scratch from the official ISO page, albeit now I've tried to reproduce the issue on another machine and I cannot seem to reproduce it. I don't understand where that ID of proxmox came from.

is it possible that your post here is backwards? i.e., fwupmgr works if you set os-release to proxmox, but not if it is set to debian (the default)? our standard Grub config and proxmox-boot-tool install Grub with "proxmox" as EFI vendor, so this way round it would make sense..

we do ship our own fwupd packages these days, so this should be fairly easy to fix.

I think you might be right here. I might have tried to switch the ID to proxmox during my troubleshooting attempt, then seen fwupdmgr erroring out nevertheless, then switched it back to debian, and the update worked then. I can't be sure that's what I did, since I can't reproduce the issue, and my command history for that session went lost.

I just had a related issue where fwupd update was failing. Fresh install using proxmox-ve_8.1-1.iso. Changing the ID in /etc/os-release from "debian" to "proxmox" resolved the issue and fwupd update completed without any issues.

could you describe in more detail how it failed? just failed to install/use the capsules, or did you get an error?

It fails to find the shim. The error is "Secure boot is enabled, but shim isn't installed to /media/root/A323-6BED/EFI/debian/shimx64.efi".

thanks! we'll fix our fwupd packages to use the correct path then (and maybe also figure out a way to integrate it into proxmox-boot-tool).

Reactions: Sigma13

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!