[solved] Multiple VLANs for OpenVZ Container?

r4pt0x

Jan 5, 2012
I need to seperate our surveillance cameras from the rest of our LAN, so i chose to do it by VLANs. The switch (cisco) supports VLANs; Camera ports are configured as tagged VLAN 2 ports, the LAG for the 4 Proxmox-Server NICs is untagged member of VLAN1 and VLAN2.

What changes have to be made to the proxmox host and/or OpenVZ guest, allowing to connect the OpenVZ container to VLAN2?
Is it possible to add it to both VLANs via one venet-adapter? (The management console should be accessible from VLAN1)
Currently neither the proxmox-host nor the zoneminder-machine can access the cameras in VLAN2.
The /etc/network/interfaces of the guest is auto-generated (by the hostsystem?), so where can i directly and persistent edit the containers network settings?

Last edited:
Re: Multiple VLANs for OpenVZ Container?

Here's how i solved it (there seems to be a bug when using venet and veth devices together within different VLANs!?)

- VLAN1 = "standard" LAN for all clients and services
- VALN2 = IP-cam VLAN, encapsulated from the rest of the network

At the switch all ports for IP-cams are set to VLAN2 "untagged" / VLAN1 excluded
The LAG through which the server is connected is configured as VLAN1 untagged / VLAN2 tagged

At the proxmox-host i added a new bridge device vmbr1 with "bridge_ports bond0.2" for VLAN ID2

The host gets 2 veth devices:
eth0 connected to vmbr0, eth1 to vmbr1
The only fully configured device is eth0, eth1 only gets an ip-address and netmask. Via "up route add -host" the routing table gets the entries for the IP-cams, routed via eth1.

As soon as i tried to connect VLAN1 through a venet-device, the client wasn't either accessible from VLAN1 or had no access to VLAN2! Don't know if its a bug or i've missed something in the configuration.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!