[SOLVED] KVM on CephFS - Not possible?

wahmed

Famous Member
Oct 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
www.symmcom.com
I am trying to install a VM on CephFS shared storage. No matter which format(qcow2,vmdk,raw) i try, i keep getting this error message when i try to power on:
Code:
  [COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]kvm: -drive file=/mnt/pve/fs-ceph-01/symmcom/images/100/vm-100-disk-1.raw,if=none,id=drive-ide0,format=raw,aio=native,cache=none: could not open disk image /mnt/pve/fs-ceph-01/symmcom/images/100/vm-100-disk-1.raw: Invalid argument[/FONT][/COLOR]

CephFS is setup properly because i have installed Containers on the same storage and they are working fine. Its the KVM that cannot be started.
I knew CephFS is still not matured enough. Just wanted to see what performance i get with a VM on it.

Last edited:
Re: KVM on CephFS - Not possible?

I am trying to install a VM on CephFS shared storage. No matter which format(qcow2,vmdk,raw) i try, i keep getting this error message when i try to power on:
Code:
  [COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]kvm: -drive file=/mnt/pve/fs-ceph-01/symmcom/images/100/vm-100-disk-1.raw,if=none,id=drive-ide0,format=raw,aio=native,cache=none: could not open disk image /mnt/pve/fs-ceph-01/symmcom/images/100/vm-100-disk-1.raw: Invalid argument[/FONT][/COLOR]

CephFS is setup properly because i have installed Containers on the same storage and they are working fine. Its the KVM that cannot be started.
I knew CephFS is still not matured enough. Just wanted to see what performance i get with a VM on it.

Hi,
you can try cache=write through - perhaps this change anything?!

Udo

Re: KVM on CephFS - Not possible?

AFAIK cache=none tries to open with O_DIRECT, and that is not supported by ceph.

I am assuming this only applies to CephFS and not the RBD? Because all virtual disks works fine on RBD Storage with or without cache.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!