[Solved] Issue with networking on fresh Proxmox VE install

Talisaerin

Jul 17, 2022
I've installed Proxmox VE on a new to me (aka used) Dell Precision t7600 with Dual Intel 8 Core E5-2665 procesors, 128 Gigs of ECC DDR3 and 4 Ethernet Ports: 2 1GbE built in labeled enp7s0 and enp0s25 and 2 10GbE on a PCIE x8 NIC labeled enp2s0f0 and enp2s0f1. The computer is unable to ping out to any device on the network and other devices can't ping in.

I have 1 cat6A ethernet going from by bench switch to enp7s0. Using '#ip addr' port enp7s0 reads (having to visually type from screen to screen):
3: enp7s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast master vmbr0 state UP group default qlen 1000 link/ether f8:b1:56:9c:60:b3 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

all other physical links are DOWN.

The vmbr0 interface is reporting:
6: vmbr0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default qlen 1000 link/ether f8:b1:56:9c:60:b3 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff inet 192.168.2.6/24 scope global vmbr0 valid_ift forever preferred_ift forever inet6 fe80::fab1:56ff:fe9c:60b3/64 scope link valid_ift forever preferred_ift forever

My /etc/networking/interfaces file looks like:

auto lo iface lo inet loopback iface enp7s0 inet manual auto vmbr0 iface vmbro inet static address 192.168.2.6/24 gateway 192.168.2.1 bridge-ports: enp7s0 bridge-stp off bridge-fd 0 iface enp0s25 inet manual iface enp2s0f0 inet manual iface enp2s0f1 inet manual

In my reading this all looks correct but I'm sure there's something I'm missing. Anyone able to give some ideas on other places to look to get this running. Once I have Proxmox up and running, the system will be installed in my rack with all connections tied to the main switch, 2 standard ports to the 1GbE and the 2 SFP+ ports will go to the 10Gbe.

Found the problem. Bad network cable between the test-bench switch and my main switch. It was reading a link, but data wasn't getting through. Changed the cable and it works now. Sorry for wasting anyone's time.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!