[solved]HP proliant Randoms reboots

Re: HP proliant Randoms reboots

Hi! Actually random reboots is the problem, with the upgrade of proxmox we solved the others two problems. Thanks! :D

You are using VPLS, I am not overly familiar with this, but I believe its some type of VPN solution to create a LAN between multiple sites over a normal IP circuit. This is about the only suspect at this point. I would be questioning the vpls. Is each node in a different physical location? Does the reboot happen specifically to only one of the nodes? Just trying to squeeze out as many details as possible.

You are using VPLS, I am not overly familiar with this, but I believe its some type of VPN solution to create a LAN between multiple sites over a normal IP circuit. This is about the only suspect at this point. I would be questioning the vpls. Is each node in a different physical location? Does the reboot happen specifically to only one of the nodes? Just trying to squeeze out as many details as possible.
we have 2 different physical location.

Site A: HP G6 and other machine

SiteB: HP G5
HP G6 had the problem reboot. and now it´s 7Hours up.
HP G5: 1Day 3 Hours up
Other machine: 1 day , 3Hours up.

we have 2 different physical location.

Site A: HP G6 and other machine

SiteB: HP G5
HP G6 had the problem reboot. and now it´s 7Hours up.
HP G5: 1Day 3 Hours up
Other machine: 1 day , 3Hours up.

Well I don't have any advice on how to start trouble shooting your VPLS, but that would most definitely be my first suspect. Good luck!

Update:
Code:
  timedatectl
#ntp was inactive on timedatectl
 timedatectl set-ntp on
could be the problem?
Thanks!

Hello,

We are also having problems with spontaneous reboots on version 4 albeit on supermicro hardware. Version 4 proxmox with 4.2.2-1-pve and 4.2.3-2-pve kernel both. Same kinds of installs on 3.4 did not show this behaviour. There is usually nothing on the console or in the syslog at the time of crash, although onetime we were lucky to catch some stacktraces seemingly pointing to problems offloading pages to swap. Do you by any chance have an install with a ZFS mirror and Swap on ZFS?

Code:
zpool history

zfs create -V 32505856K -b 4K rpool/swap

We have one server running now with
Code:
swapoff -a
and it has not crashed since.

Last edited:

Hello, We are also having problems with spontaneous reboots on version 4 albeit on supermicro hardware. Same kinds of installs on 3.4 did not show this behaviour. There is usually nothing on the console or in the syslog at the time of crash, although onetime we were lucky to catch some stacktraces seemingly pointing to problems offloading pages to swap. Do you by any chance have an install with a ZFS mirror and Swap on ZFS?
Code:
zpool history
zfs create -V 32505856K -b 4K rpool/swap We have one server running now with
Code:
swapoff -a
and it has not crashed since.
My system has 7 days uptime, we changed the switch and no more reboots. Thanks :)

Hello debi@n,

That is of course very nice. :D

I am interested to see how rare the ZFS setup is. Are you using ZFS on your systems?

Regards,
Gerrit

Hello debi@n, That is of course very nice. :D I am interested to see how rare the ZFS setup is. Are you using ZFS on your systems? Regards, Gerrit
Hello, im working with HDD RAID-1 by hardware on the nodes and on the NAS : HDD (RAID1)+SSD-CACHE(Write-Read) (I use NAS for Virtual Machine Images).
But i tested ZFS on proxmox 4.0 STABLE and It seemed to work well, I had no problems with ZFS, i had problems with HA Cluster :p .i use the last version from deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian jessie pve-no-subscription Good luck! :D

Hello debi@n,

Thanks we are using the latest updates on pve-no-subscription. I am beginning to think that ZFS mirror is a rare setup and that a lot of people will be using hardware raid or mdraid. It does not give any problems for us, until sometime after the OS starts using the swap file, and that depends on the workload. On mdraid it seems quite stable.

Regards.
Gerrit

Hello debi@n, Thanks we are using the latest updates on pve-no-subscription. I am beginning to think that ZFS mirror is a rare setup and that a lot of people will be using hardware raid or mdraid. It does not give any problems for us, until sometime after the OS starts using the swap file, and that depends on the workload. On mdraid it seems quite stable. Regards. Gerrit
we had better experiences for cluster with the last updates, and I would advise hardware raid for production
Regards :D

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!