[solved]how to use two different nics for the virtual machines

amigaoneit

Jul 27, 2020
Hello Again i have solved it my self...

tldr

to use the second nic on a new vmbr you can't populate the gateway field with the same gateway because it is not needed,

Hello everyone and sorry if the topic has already been asked, but probably due to my little knowledge of proxmox (and of the english language for that matter) i just can't find what i'm looking for.

SOME BACKGROUND INFO
I have just one (old second hand) server which i bought to start some home labing (is that a word?).

It's a dell t320 with 48gb of ram and a 2470v2 cpu. I've bought this setup since it was cheap on ebay and because i wanted (initially) to install truenas on it mainly for backups of the family data on the various pcs and I read that truenas worked better on enterprise grade hardware.

Long story short i felt that it would have been a pity to waste such hardware only as a glorified nas and after (a lot of) trials and errors in choosing the most useful (for me) combo of hypervisor and software that i would like to run i settled with proxmox as bare metal hypervisor and openmediavault as the nas os on a virtual machine with the hba passed to it.

As a DIY home labber (?) i'm quite pleased with what i have accomplished till now: i can backup my family's pcs; i can host and stream my media, therfore an all in one solution.

Openmediavault is my nas which shares folders through nfs or cifs depending on the needs, whilst i manage everything through docker on another virtual machine on which i've mounted an openmedivault nfs share. I did notice some glitches, probably due to the nfs share being too slow, but i never bothered since it was nothing major and all appeared run smoothly.

AND NOW THE QUESTION
so all appeared to run smoothly, but now i wanted to try proxmox backup server: i've mounted an nfs share into the pbs VM and created a datastore on it.
and then it hit me: the datastore creation took a really looong time, something like 45 minutes;
so my question is: could it be that since openmediavault is on the same vmbr hence on the same nic of all the other VMs this simoultaneous upload/download traffic is slowed down so much?

And if so, since the T320 has 2 nics, is there a way to have openmediavault to use the second nic so the "upload stream" generated by pbs (or another VM for the matter) passes through vmbr0==>eno1 and the "download stream" received by OMV passes through vmbr1==>eno2?

I have tried to create a new vmbr with eno2 with no luck; it won't let me because the gateway is the same of vmbr0.

thank you in advence if you have read through the post and for your help

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!