[SOLVED] How to Remove a Proxmox Node

hotwired007

Sep 19, 2011
UK
Remove a cluster node

Move all virtual machines out of the node, just use the Central Web-based Management 2.0 to migrate or delete all VM´s. Make sure you have no local backups you want to keep, or save them accordingly.
Log in to one remaining node via ssh. Issue a pvecm nodes command to identify the nodeID:
pvecm nodes

Node Sts Inc Joined Name
1 M 156 2011-09-05 10:39:09 hp1
2 M 156 2011-09-05 10:39:09 hp2
3 M 168 2011-09-05 11:24:12 hp4
4 M 160 2011-09-05 10:40:27 hp3

Issue the delete command (here deleting node hp2):

pvecm delnode hp2

If the operation succeeds no output is returned, just check the node list again with 'pvecm nodes' (or just 'pvecm n').

ATTENTION: you need to power off the removed node, and make sure that it will not power on again.

Does the node need to be powered on to remove it? or powered off first?

Last edited:
Re: Remove a Proxmox Node

hey :)

additional to the question of hotwired:

after removing the node of the cluster, can i add a new node with the ip address of the removed node? will there be any problems? i want to remove an old server from the cluster and replace this with a new server with same ip address ... i use proxmox 3.0

greetings

Re: Remove a Proxmox Node

hey :)

additional to the question of hotwired:

after removing the node of the cluster, can i add a new node with the ip address of the removed node? will there be any problems? i want to remove an old server from the cluster and replace this with a new server with same ip address ... i use proxmox 3.0

greetings

when i did this i had to use the -force suffic on the add command but other than that had no issues on my main cluster - although when i did it with another cluster i had to do some stuff with keys - i'll see if i can find the post

edit:

see this post: http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/13968-Migration-issue-after-replacing-a-node

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!