[solved] how to find which virtio drivers version is installed in windows?

m.ardito

Feb 17, 2010
Torino, Italy
Hi,

I can't find a way to understand which virtio version is installed in my windows 2003 guest...

in "devices management" I see two "hard disk" devices labeled "red hat virtio scsi disk device", but in the "driver details" it seems to come from... "microsoft"?

virtio.png

is this expected? and how can I easily tell which version I have installed? :confused:

Thanks, Marco

Last edited:
Re: how to find which virtio drivers version is installed in windows?

I think if you look further down in Device manager and go to Storage Controllers/Red Hat VirtIO SCSI Controller, you can get the driver version from there.

oh, my!

you're right, the controller is the place where I have to look, :eek:

but... there I see:
driver version 4.3.0.17241 date 05/05/2009
and if I dig in to driver details I see:
a viostor.sys file with 51.63.103.3000 as version... how are these info related with waht I can find here http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/virtio-win/latest/images/ ?

on the fedora project there are version numbers like
virtio-win-0.1-65.iso

how are thay related is there any online source to check, to your knowledge?

Marco

Just extract the files from the iso. Then you can check the version numbers. For example, 0.1-52 viostor.sys in the Win7/x86 folder is version 61.64.104.5200. For the 0.1-65 iso, the same file is version 61.65.104.6500. It looks like the last 4 digits tie up with the iso naming.

it could be as you said: I already have a
virtio-win-0.1-30.iso

so it fits to my installed 51.63.103.3000

still, it's weird... not really intuitive what "0.1" stand for then...

Thanks,
Marco

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!