Solved: Guest Agent not running

flyyboyy

Jul 3, 2023
Hello, all - I have a new deployment of PVE in which I can get no IPs for any of the VMs I've created. Ubuntu Server 22.04, 24.04, Linux Mint, all no joy. I've had no issues in the past (with PVE 7.4, though I can't imagine that there should be any difference in 8.2.) All have been on identical hardware (HP T-630 thin clients). Have tried multiple times removing each VM (removal has been hard in itself) and re-creating each VM, never to get IPs: "Guest Agent not running" on the Summary tab.

Anyhoo, really need someone to point me in the right direction. I've spent way too many hours searching through the forum and elsewhere. . .

Full disclosure: I have always struggled with anything Linux, though with lots of reading, googling, etc, have usually been able to work my way through previous issues (though this is my first with PVE.) Therefore, unless it's something simple, I may need some hand-holding. Any takers???

Thanks!

Can you provide a list of what you've tried so far?
Normally you would just install it with "install open-vm-tools" respective of your distro e.g, For Ubuntu

sudo apt install open-vm-tools

Primary objective is ubuntu server, though I've tried different versions, and different distros for other OSs just to try.

I've always installed VMs starting with the blue "Create VM" button and followed each successive tab with appropriate settings. Always before (at least as I remember) the VM came up with the IP shown (from DHCP) as ubuntu server was being installed, however I am now getting no IP noted on the Summary tab in PVE. I am able to ping the DHCP-provided IP, but cannot SSH into that address.

Is my memory shot??? I don't remember ever having to add any other tools or packages in the past, always just worked after rebooting. However, willing to do whatever is needed to get it going, i.e. "install open-vm-tools" or whatever.

Also, when trying to stop, shut down or reboot the VM, I get: "TASK ERROR: VM quit/powerdown failed" in the Cluster Log and it remains running. Takes multiple attempts, each with a very long time (timeout?)

Way too many hours already spent this weekend, though will take more time if I can get the needed results. . .

Thanks

You will not be able to SSH into the machine unless you created a user that is allowed to ssh and have ssh services running, you can check with
system systemctl status ssh
Please connect to your VM via console and log in and run the command I gave you above. You will then be able send commands from proxmox to the VM.

As I mentioned earlier, correct that I have not had SSH capability.
So after your earlier response, I used the console, did "sudo apt install open-vm-tools" and received: open-vm-tools is already the newest version (2:12.3.5-5build3).
That's where it stands now

Follow these steps
apt-get install qemu-guest-agent
systemctl start qemu-guest-agent
systemctl enable qemu-guest-agent
This is the daemon used to exchange data between the guest and the host.
First command installs it.
Second command starts the daemon
Third command enables it at VM boot.

So, in a nutshell, are those 3 commands something that I will need to do with each future deployment? I'm gonna keep them in a text file for future use (yeah, while I'm still learning, know I still have a long way to go. . .)

Thanks for your help!

So, in a nutshell, are those 3 commands something that I will need to do with each future deployment? I'm gonna keep them in a text file for future use (yeah, while I'm still learning, know I still have a long way to go. . .)

Thanks for your help!
Good. It's always good to learn functions of systemctl.
Especially since status, start, and enable can be used for every service that runs.
You can apply the same to your ssh.
"Systemctl status ssh" to see if the service is running.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!