[SOLVED - did reinstall]Missing local-lvm after installing Proxmox over Debian

LK LAW

Nov 25, 2019
I've been looking at this for a while now and I can't wrap my head around adding a new LV for the Local-LVM thin-pool (if I understand correctly this is what I need to do).
The reason I installed Proxmox over Debian is because the Proxmox installer freezes my 2010 Mac Mini's EFI (doesn't happen with any other Distro nor on my 2012 Mac mini)

This is the output of PVS and LVS:
root@maxiserver:~# lvs
LV VG Attr LSize Pool Origin Data% Meta% Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
root maxiserver-vg -wi-ao---- 457.27g
swap_1 maxiserver-vg -wi-ao---- <7.75g
root@maxiserver:~# pvs
PV VG Fmt Attr PSize PFree
/dev/sda3 maxiserver-vg lvm2 a-- <465.02g 0

I followed the instructions from https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/LVM2 and to run "lvcreate -L 400G -n data maxiserver-vg" however this throws me the following: "Volume group "maxiserver-vg" has insufficient free space (0 extents): 102400 required"

I thought the point of LVM was that you can assign larger storage containers than you have free space?
I think my root partition maybe needs resizing, but I couldn't figure out a way that would do that safely...

Any kind soul that can point me in the right direction?

I managed to reduce the Root LV file size by 400G using lvreduce. However now I can't create a new LV as it gives me " Cannot archive volume group metadata for maxiserver-vg to read-only filesystem."

* You would have needed to reduce the filesystem on top of /dev/maxiserver-vg/root before running lvreduce
* it would probably be safest to reinstall anew (and only use a part of sda3 (and the VG on top of it) for root)

I hope this helps!

Reactions: LK LAW
* You would have needed to reduce the filesystem on top of /dev/maxiserver-vg/root before running lvreduce
* it would probably be safest to reinstall anew (and only use a part of sda3 (and the VG on top of it) for root)

I hope this helps!
Yeah I got my system into read only mode so I'll just reinstall when I'm home.

What steps do I need to follow to during the Debian installation so I already create the data LV for when I convert the install to Proxmox?
Or is there any easy fix to get the installer to boot on the mini?

What steps do I need to follow to during the Debian installation so I already create the data LV for when
just use manual partitioning and when creating the root LV leave part of the space unused in the VG - this space you can then use to create a thin-pool

as an alternative you can also just use the directory-storage and qcow images

Or is there any easy fix to get the installer to boot on the mini?
depends on the problem you experience when booting it (please share where the problems occur)

I reinstalled and configured everything in the Debian installer, now I just have the problem that my VG isn't named PVE (see my new thread).
depends on the problem you experience when booting it (please share where the problems occur)
This is an odd one, because it freezes the entire machine during the EFI screen boot picker (doesn't even reach it if the USB is plugged in during boot). I don't have this problem with any other linux installer. Furthermore, I wouldn't have a clue as to how debug this, but I'dd be glad to help out!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!