[Solved] Can't get VLANs working in pfsense on a single NIC host

kevpatts

Feb 21, 2024
homelab.png

So I'm working on getting this topology working. I'm struggling getting the VLANs working on the proxmox/pfsense installation. I've only setup vLAN 5 so far just to simplify for testing.

I have confirmed that the WiFi AP is assigning the "Personal" SSID with vLAN 5 and the device connecting is sending DHCP traffic on vLAN 5 to the proxmox box (used wireshark on port 2 of the "near" switch to confirm this).

At the moment I have:
  1. Made the bridge vLAN aware
  2. Configured 3 generic NICs on the pfsense guest and configured them in pfsense as WAN, LAN and VLAN 5 (tagging only done on the pfsense VM)
  3. Setup DHCP on vLAN 5 in pfsense
Found a lot of conflicting guides on setting up vLANs correctly so hoping someone can help me.

To do some more testing I set up another VM on br0 (the only bridge) with vLAN tagged as 5 on the proxmox NIC config. This is working and using wireshark I can see DHCP discover packets on the network under vLAN 5.

It's as if proxmox is stripping the vLAN tags off the packets from pfsense?

I read on another post that "when management IP and gateway from the native vlan is assigned to a vlan aware bridge, all traffic is untagged". Is this the case? If so is there a way to prevent this?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!