[solved] boot messages: failed to start zfs import

Peter Altherr

Apr 28, 2016
dear proxmox experts,

since a while i am getting two error lines when booting up my pve (please see screenshot). after boot everything runs fine. checking my 3 zfs pools in the webui shows their status as online and green. the 4tb pool does no longer exist, the 12tb pool exists but my guess is the error messages refers to a former 12tb pool which has been deleted and recreated. any clues are most welcome how to get rid of these lines.

error messages:
2023-10-02 14_18_23-iLO_ HP_ML_10_V2 - ILOCN65140EW5.fritz.box und 38 weitere Seiten - Persönl...png

my current pools in pve webui:
2023-10-02 14_37_38-pve - Proxmox Virtual Environment und 38 weitere Seiten - Persönlich – Mic...png

dear proxmox experts,

since a while i am getting two error lines when booting up my pve (please see screenshot). after boot everything runs fine. checking my 3 zfs pools in the webui shows their status as online and green. the 4tb pool does no longer exist, the 12tb pool exists but my guess is the error messages refers to a former 12tb pool which has been deleted and recreated. any clues are most welcome how to get rid of these lines.

error messages:
View attachment 56027

my current pools in pve webui:
View attachment 56028
Hi,
Proxmox VE imports the ZFS pools by cache file. From what you describe, it seems that these services are leftovers, which can be disabled by running systemctl disable --now zfs-import@ZFS_4Tb_HDD_RAIDZ.service zfs-import@ZFS_12Tb_HDD_RAIDZ.service.

Also, please double check afterwards, that the improt by cache file service is indeed enabled and active by running systemctl status zfs-import-cache.service

Reactions: SunnyCloudy
thanks a lot chris. before i give it a try: the command does not harm my existing 12tb pool as it has the same name?

thanks a lot chris. before i give it a try: the command does not harm my existing 12tb pool as it has the same name?
No, the service only handles zpool imports. It does not touch anything else. You can see what it does by running cat /usr/lib/systemd/system/zfs-import@.service. Note that this is a template service, so systemd replaces %i and %I with the argument provided after the @, see https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.service.html#Service Templates

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!