[solved] backup config files of a pbs

Elleni

Jul 6, 2020
I want to re-install a new proxmox backup server. To not have to reconfigure everything, like backup jobs on the proxmox cluster nodes, keys and pbs settings in general, I would like to backup the whole configuration of the existing proxmox backup server. Can you please tell me what I have to copy from old to new server in order to be able to reuse existing backups and clone the configuration of the old proxmox backup server?

So this includes everything pbs related, I can just copy /etc/proxmox-backup/* in a new install, or may I better also copy /etc/* just in case? For example I use this pbs as quorum device for our 2 node cluster.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Last edited:
So this includes everything pbs related, I can just copy /etc/proxmox-backup/* in a new install, or may I better also copy /etc/* just in case? For example I use this pbs as quorum device for our 2 node cluster.

Thanks for your quick reply.
I would carefully review the contents of each file I copy. But of cause, you can copy /etc/proxmox-backup/*. You need to make sure all referenced resources exist on the new server.

Also, network configuration is in /etc/network/interfaces, and timezone/keyboard config is somewhere else in /etc. You also need to configure the local disks. But I would set that up when installing the OS instead of copying /etc/* (which is IMHO dangerous and bad practice)-

Last edited:
Understood. Thats what I thought, I'd make too. Just copy whole /etc but then only restore file by file after review. Thanks a lot for your comment.

Can someone please tell me, what the correct ownership and access rights are for the files in /etc/proxmox-backup? After a new install I have overwritten the content of a saved proxmox-backup folder, but possibly the access rights need modification? Or is there a way (besides reinstall) to recreate those files with correct access rights, so I could go and paste the content of the single files without replacing the files by overwriting them, thus preserving the correct access rights of those?

Code:
ls -l /etc/proxmox-backup/
total 42
-rw------- 1 root root 3243 Jul  2 16:43 authkey.key
-rw-r----- 1 root root  800 Jul  2 16:43 authkey.pub
-rw-r----- 1 root root 1675 Jul  2 16:43 csrf.key
-rw-r----- 1 root root  238 Jul  2 16:43 datastore.cfg
-rw-r----- 1 root root 3243 Jul  2 16:43 proxy.key
-rw-r----- 1 root root 2134 Jul  2 16:43 proxy.pem
-rw-r----- 1 root root  184 Jul  2 16:43 remote.cfg
-rw-r----- 1 root root  135 Jul  2 16:43 sync.cfg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    0 Jul  2 16:43 tfa.json.lock
-rw-r----- 1 root root   43 Jul  2 16:28 user.cfg
-rw-r----- 1 root root  242 Jul  2 16:43 verification.cfg

Edit to add as I managed to quickly screw my new install, I decided to go with a reinstall, so just for reference here is the ls after a new install:
Code:
ls -l /etc/proxmox-backup/
total 24
-rw------- 1 root root   3243 Jul  2 17:36 authkey.key
-rw-r----- 1 root backup  800 Jul  2 17:36 authkey.pub
-rw-r----- 1 root backup 1679 Jul  2 17:36 csrf.key
-rw-r----- 1 root backup 3243 Jul  2 17:36 proxy.key
-rw-r----- 1 root backup 2134 Jul  2 17:36 proxy.pem
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root      0 Jul  2 17:40 tfa.json.lock
-rw-r----- 1 root backup   42 Jul  2 17:34 user.cfg

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!