Solution: How to use USB Wifi or PCI Wifi instead of Ethernet for Proxmox and VM/Containers

tahseenjamal

Oct 1, 2020
Ok so this is my setting and this works as in using wifi for Proxmox

Also note when you create the VM or LXC VM, you have to give the VM a static IP. You would see the Network setting in Network Box when creating VM
VM IP: 10.10.10.50/24 # as an e.g. I am giving
gateway IP: 10.10.10.1

#################/etc/network/interfaces
Rich (BB code):
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# Initially I had placed a block here for initializing the wifi (I have a USB wifi) but realized that
# somehow it had issue, so I completely removed it as you can see
# leaving it the system to give the IP. My Router DHCP gives same IP for a MAC for a very long time
# so it would is virtually like static IP

auto vmbr0

#private sub network

iface vmbr0 inet static
    address  10.10.10.1
    netmask  255.255.255.0
    bridge-ports none
    bridge-stp off
    bridge-fd 0

# WIFI is the wifi network interface name that you can get using 'ip a' or 'ifconfig'
    #Replace the below word WIFI with your wifi name
    # NOTE THE TAB SUCH THAT BELOW IS ALIGNED UNDER IF
    post-up   echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    post-up   iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s '10.10.10.0/24' -o WIFI -j MASQUERADE
    post-down iptables -t nat -D POSTROUTING -s '10.10.10.0/24' -o WIFI -j MASQUERADE

################END OF FILE#######################################

Please feel free to ask me any question you have. I thought I should share this as I had a lot of trouble and some mixed posts helped to understand how to do it

Last edited:
I edited for clarity. I mean the wifi network interface name like wls0 or wxl0

whatever you see when you do ip a or ifconfig

Last edited:
Just curious with the Wi-Fi USB where do you enter the SSID and password, probably not gonna get a response but I figured I'd just post it out there , thanks.

auto wlx7cdd90c8190b
iface wlx7cdd90c8190b inet dhcp
wpa-ssid Your_Netgear_SSID
wpa-psk Your_Netgear_Password

# WIFI is the wifi network interface name that you can get using 'ip a' or 'ifconfig'
#Replace the below word WIFI with your wifi name
# NOTE THE TAB SUCH THAT BELOW IS ALIGNED UNDER IF
post-up echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
post-up iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s '10.10.10.0/24' -o wlx7cdd90c8190b -j MASQUERADE
post-down iptables -t nat -D POSTROUTING -s '10.10.10.0/24' -o wlx7cdd90c8190b -j MASQUERADE

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!