Snapshots?

Joseph Chrzempiec

Jun 9, 2016
Hello i been thinking of trying to use snapshot from proxmox is one of my VM if there was problem with it like something happens to windows it crashes because of a update or something. So I'm asking the snapshot where is it stored at. And if i can not store it on the same server can it be sent to another server?

Joseph

HI,

Hello i been thinking of trying to use snapshot from proxmox is one of my VM if there was problem with it like something happens to windows it crashes because of a update or something. So I'm asking the snapshot where is it stored at.
That depends on what your storage type and image format is. But normally you don't even need to know exactly where. You can just use the Snapshots section after selecting your VM. There you can take snapshots, see the snapshots taken with PVE and rollback to the earlier state.

And if i can not store it on the same server can it be sent to another server?
Joseph

You can use storage replication if you have ZFS. Otherwise you might want to take regular backups to a storage on the other server instead (does not include snapshots, only the current state).

Hello one of my VM windows os got screwed up 2 days ago adn i was running some test program and the windows os crashed and didn't recover. So i was looking into how can i future recover it. I do have a offsite backup 20TB worth of backup storage. on my proxmox system i don't have a lot of storage to do a backup.So i looked around and came across something for snapshot to go back in time and reocover what is missing or lost.

So that is why i came in here asking for advice. I do not use ZFS. I just normally installed proxmox and setup VM i do not even have redundancy drives on my proxmox system. Well I'm working on that to do add a redundant hard drive. This is just to make sure if i lost whatever is on the VM i can recover it with a backup and not have to reinstall everything it is a pain. I don't want to do a backup because i need to recover the whole OS and not have to keep reinstalling it.

Joseph

Hello one of my VM windows os got screwed up 2 days ago adn i was running some test program and the windows os crashed and didn't recover. So i was looking into how can i future recover it. I do have a offsite backup 20TB worth of backup storage. on my proxmox system i don't have a lot of storage to do a backup.So i looked around and came across something for snapshot to go back in time and reocover what is missing or lost.

So that is why i came in here asking for advice. I do not use ZFS. I just normally installed proxmox and setup VM i do not even have redundancy drives on my proxmox system. Well I'm working on that to do add a redundant hard drive. This is just to make sure if i lost whatever is on the VM i can recover it with a backup and not have to reinstall everything it is a pain. I don't want to do a backup because i need to recover the whole OS and not have to keep reinstalling it.

Joseph

You can always add remote storages for PVE to use, see here. You'll probably want to use NFS or CIFS and configure the offsite storage accordingly.

When you recover using a backup, there is no need to reinstall the OS. See here for more information on the current backup system. If you use the QEMU guest agent you can even do live backups (i.e. snapshot mode) which are pretty similar to taking snapshots.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!