snapshots = full backups? not actual snapshots?

Jae Lee

Renowned Member
hello,

i'm just coming from xenserver / vmware and testing out proxmox.
so far, proxmox has far exceeded my expectations but just have one glaring issue so far.

when i take live snapshots from proxmox, it just does a vzdump of a VM which can take quite a bit of time, as well as eating up precious diskspace. i'm guessing it is me who is doing something wrong because i know KVM supports live snapshots, which are point-in-time recovery, and not an actual backup of the entire image.

in xen or vmware, i can take as many snapshots as i want, usually done in less than 10 seconds and takes up only fraction of the disk space.

but proxmox, it is storing the entire disk? am i doing something wrong? i really hope so, as i'm trying to switch everything over to proxmox asap.

but proxmox, it is storing the entire disk? am i doing something wrong? i really hope so, as i'm trying to switch everything over to proxmox asap.

vzdump is a backup tools, storing everything you need to restore. VM snapshot are something else, currently not implemented.

also i noticed that you can only have "one" backup per vm. is this something that can be configured?

the number of maximum backup files is a setting of the storage definition.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!