Snapshot won't delete

bruceg

Aug 29, 2018
I have a snap that is being a troublemaker... it shows up in the web gui but if i try to delete it, it says vm is locked. i unlock the vm from the cli and the same thing happens...

I then list the snap in the CLI for that vm and it is listed. Running qm delsnapshot <ID> <name> says zfs error: could not find any snapshots to destroy; check snapshot names.

This snap refuses to die!

I ran into similar problem and discovered I was using the wrong name for snapshot. Try the following:

lvs (list snapshots on VG designated as snap_*)
qm listsnapshot <VM number> (will list the snapshot name after -> designation)
qm delsnapshot <VM number> <snapshot name>

The snapshot name is not the name listed in lvs output. Maybe this will help?

I ran into similar problem and discovered I was using the wrong name for snapshot. Try the following:

lvs (list snapshots on VG designated as snap_*)
qm listsnapshot <VM number> (will list the snapshot name after -> designation)
qm delsnapshot <VM number> <snapshot name>

The snapshot name is not the name listed in lvs output. Maybe this will help?
As stated in my original post, I tried that and get: zfs error: could not find any snapshots to destroy; check snapshot names.

What does qm listsnapshot <VM number> report for that VM? You said it's displayed in the web GUI, is it also listed in the CLI?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!