[SOLVED] Snapshot independent (persistent) data disks?

apoc

Famous Member
Oct 13, 2017
Hello everybody,

I wonder if there is the concept of "persistent disks" within Proxmox VE?
I would like to take a snapshot of a VM and from the OS-Disk, while the data disks should not be affected by this snapshot. E.g. when I apply the snapshot only the OS disk should be reverted to its original form, but not the data disk.

The only thread I have found about this question. Is it still the same situation or has anything changed?
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/pve-vm-snapshot-independent-disk.21632/

Thanks and with best regards
Thomas

Thank you Belokan for sharing that information.
I will add my "vote" for this in Bugzilla as well to make my request visible.
With best regards
Thomas

Hi,

You can do it like this if you use zfs as I hope :)
- you need to have 2 different data sets like rpool/data/os-disk and rpool/data-disk
- then you move this 2 vdisk to this dedicated data-sets
- in this moment you can have an independent snapshot for each vdisk, so you can rollback each of them independently

I can tell that this work for me.

Good luck... with zfs!

Hello Guletz,
thanks for your reply. Indeed I am running on top of ZFS pools (multiple).
The OS typically comes from an SSD-Pool, while the data-disks are running on top of an HDD-Pool.
Repeating your statement with my own words: Your suggestion is to just create a snapshot on the ZFS-layer.
It reads like you have some experienve. How is your "workflow". A few questions if I may:
- Do you shut down the VM to get a clear state on the disk? I would expect you do.
- Is there any configuration changes needed on the ProxMox hypervisor itself?
Thanks for your help and with best regards
Thomas

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!