Snapshot in Delete status

Aron Dijkstra

Aug 6, 2016
Hi,

I tried to remove an old snapshot, located on a Networked storage device.
Bootdisk is 512G file is now 1.5T. in qcow2 format.
The system hanged on: TASK ERROR: VM 101 qmp command 'blockdev-snapshot-delete-internal-sync' failed - got timeout
i could unlock it. but still frozen, reset was also not possible i needed to stop it and restart it.
I read your forum and see that it is because of networked storage and large file...

my questions now:
- How can a reduce the snapshots safely?
- I need to perform a upgrade and i would like to have a working snaphot before dooing so.
- How can i make a snapshot with the delete state?
- Can i use force? what will happen with my disk?

Hope you can help!

Hi,
Hi,

I tried to remove an old snapshot, located on a Networked storage device.
Bootdisk is 512G file is now 1.5T. in qcow2 format.
The system hanged on: TASK ERROR: VM 101 qmp command 'blockdev-snapshot-delete-internal-sync' failed - got timeout
i could unlock it. but still frozen, reset was also not possible i needed to stop it and restart it.
How long did you wait? Likely the snapshot delete task was still running in the background. The VM will hang until it's finished, because it's a synchronous operation.
I read your forum and see that it is because of networked storage and large file...
Yes, qcow2 over network is slow when it comes to snapshots.
my questions now:
- How can a reduce the snapshots safely?
If the snapshots still show up in the configuration, I'd suggest removing them while the VM is shut down. If that fails, use the force flag for qm delsnapshot, that will just ignore errors (e.g. if the snapshot is already gone from the disk but still in the configuration). If the snapshots are not in the configuration anymore, or to check, use qemu-img snapshot -l /path/to/disk.qcow2 to get a list of snapshots on the disk. To remove snapshots that are not in the configuration, while the VM is down, you can use qemu-img snapshot -d <snapshot name> /path/to/disk.qcow2.
- I need to perform a upgrade and i would like to have a working snaphot before dooing so.
- How can i make a snapshot with the delete state?
- Can i use force? what will happen with my disk?
After unlocking the VM, you should be able to create new snapshots.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!