SMTP Whitelist Not Working

Charles Oliveira

Aug 29, 2019
I am entering domain in SMTP Whitelist and it is still blocked by RBL

Sep 10 18:30:28 smtp1 postfix/postscreen[867]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]:59778: 550 5.7.1 Service unavailable; client [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] blocked using bl.nosolicitado.org; from=<0101016d1d15a516-aa03a45a-0724-40a2-a8d1-47d4f09dffb2-000000@subdomain.domain.com>, to=<mymail@domain.com>, proto=ESMTP, helo=<a27-162.smtp-out.us-west-2.amazonses.com>

I added subdomain.domain.com on MAILPROXI WHITELIS, Domain -> sender =subdomain.domain.com
even after rebooting the system it still keeps blocking by RLB bl.nosolicitado.org

presents the same tracking center log

NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]:59778: 550 5.7.1 Service unavailable; client [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] blocked using bl.nosolicitado.org; from=<0101016d1d15a516-aa03a45a-0724-40a2-a8d1-47d4f09dffb2-000000@subdomain.domain.com>, to=<mymail@domain.com>, proto=ESMTP, helo=<a27-162.smtp-out.us-west-2.amazonses.com>

My version of Proxmox is 6.0-4.

This is the correct procedure to release RBL locks or I need to perform another operation?

I verified that the whitelist for the RBLS only accepts IP or range, has to make this release by domain or specific email, because it has this option, but does not work when inserted.

I don't understand the question?

if you cannot whitelist on IP/CIDR basis i guess your only option is to not use postscreen by removing the rbl-entries in the mailproxy configuration.

I hope this helps!

Although the forum is old, I would like to clarify the topic. I believe what Charles meant is, what is the role in such a case of the other options to choose in the postscreen (SMTP whitelist) other than IP address , such as domain and email. If the criterion by which postscreen checks the RBL is only IP (which is perfectly reasonable) how do options like domain and mail address fit into the filter?

Thanks for the clarification!

If the criterion by which postscreen checks the RBL is only IP (which is perfectly reasonable) how do options like domain and mail address fit into the filter?
see https://pmg.proxmox.com/pmg-docs/pmg-admin-guide.html#pmgconfig_whitelist_overview

to ignore DNSBL results (in postscreen) for an IP you need to add the IP there.
domains and e-mail addresses are taken into consideration for the other checks that happen in the mail-proxy (by the pmgpolicy daemon):
* Greylisting
* SPF checks in the mail proxy

I hope this explains it!

Reactions: mparvanov
see https://pmg.proxmox.com/pmg-docs/pmg-admin-guide.html#pmgconfig_whitelist_overview

to ignore DNSBL results (in postscreen) for an IP you need to add the IP there.
domains and e-mail addresses are taken into consideration for the other checks that happen in the mail-proxy (by the pmgpolicy daemon):
* Greylisting
* SPF checks in the mail proxy

I hope this explains it!
Thank you Stoiko! That's what I assumed, but I'm glad you confirmed it. I think that unfortunately the use case of domains and mails values in the context of SMTP Whitelist (postfix/postscreen) is not explained clearly enough in the documentation you cited. Thank you once again.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!