SMB file copy floods / kills router WAN

jonsnowquestions

Nov 19, 2021
Hello community!

Looking for some guidance on what I should investigate, logs to review for a peculiar scenario. I'll try to give as complete a breakdown of my setup and environment that I believe to be relevant to the issue being experienced.

PVE 7.1
Dual NIC mobo
Main LAN subnet 192.168.1.1/24 -> mobo NIC1 WAN address -> 192.168.1.99 -> vmbr0
PVE LAN subnet 192.168.55.1/24 -> mobo NIC2 LAN address -> 192.168.55.99 -> vmbr1

I have multiple LXCs and VMs, two of which are NAS configured with SMB. For the last year of usage, I have had no issues copying to/from/between systems, including from my main physical workstation.

The last couple of months, I have also set up a Win10 VM to test software before installing it on my main workstation. When copying files from the VM to the NAS, my WAN connection drops, so all devices ranging from desktops, smartphones, to a physical voip phone over a hardware VPN connection all go down. Once the file copy completes, the connection is restored almost immediately after the copy dialog disappears from Windows. This is only a problem when copying multiple gigs of files as the copy process can take anywhere from a few minutes upwards for 20+ to complete, the whole time my WAN connection is down. This behavior does not present itself when copying FROM the NAS to the Win10 VM, on vice versa. I assume there is some flooding going on from the PVE LAN to the Main LAN, but I don't know what to review next.

What settings or logs should I be reviewing to troubleshoot further? What other information should I take into consideration?

Thanks for your feedback!

Have you checked the journal for any information? Both on the PVE host as well as inside the container.
You could try running tcpdump inside the container and on the PVE host. Run tcpdump -env -s0 -w <host>.pcap and then analyze it with wireshark.
Could it be that there's an IP or MAC address conflict with the Windows VM?

Have you checked the journal for any information? Both on the PVE host as well as inside the container.
You could try running tcpdump inside the container and on the PVE host. Run tcpdump -env -s0 -w <host>.pcap and then analyze it with wireshark. friday night funkin
Could it be that there's an IP or MAC address conflict with the Windows VM?
Could it be an IP address or MAC address conflict?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!