Smart Array P420 Passthrough

pedro84430

Mar 17, 2021
Hello Everyone
So I just installed Proxmox on my Proliant dl380e G8 with the following specs:
2x Xeon E5 2420 6 Core 1.9GHz
64 DDR3 RAM

I have Proxmox installed on 2 SATA HDDs Raid1 with a SATA Controller.
I want to virtualise TrueNAS and passthrough the P420 card.

First thing I did was flash the card into HBA mode and that worked fine (by telling it in the BIOS with a message)

Next thing I did was followed all the steps from the wiki page (https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Pci_passthrough)
After executing all the commands and configuring everything I selected the PCI device in VM > Hardware
than started the VM and it gave me an error
Code:
kvm: -device vfio-pci,host=0000:0a:00.0,id=hostpci0,bus=ich9-pcie-port-1,addr=0x0: vfio 0000:0a:00.0: failed to setup container for group 31: Failed to set iommu for container: Operation not permitted
TASK ERROR: start failed: QEMU exited with code 1

** ALSO the fans span up to 100% (showing on the iLO) and it told me the card has failed after starting the VM

If anyone could help me I would appreciate. BTW this is my first time installing Proxmox

Is there any useful information in dmesg or journalctl -b 0 when you try to start the VM and get this error?
Maybe this post from reddit will work for you? Maybe try (temporarily) adding vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1 to the kernel parameters in the GRUB or systemd boot menu when booting Proxmox?
EDIT: Good suggestion here too: blacklist the driver (or bind vfio-pci early via /etc/modprobe.d) to make sure the device is not touched before passthrough.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!