[SOLVED] small router vm restored from pbs won't boot, restored from old vzdump does boot okay.

oversite

Renowned Member
Jul 13, 2011
I have a small router vm, some kind of linux based.
If i backup with old vzdump and restore to another VMid, it boots okay.
If i backup to pbs and restore to another VMid it won't boot.

i can't come up with any good troubleshooting, if anybody have an idea or advice i would be happy to hear it.

vm config, restore log and boot pics attached
/H

Attachments

• vm_config.txt
    651 bytes · Views: 1
  • vm_restore.txt
    20 KB · Views: 4
  • start_fails.png
    start_fails.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 3
  • start_ok.png
    start_ok.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 3
  • pveversions.txt
    2.6 KB · Views: 2
Your PBS backup might be corrupt, have you checked by verifying the backup? Is this reproducible (new backup followed by immediate restore)? Also make sure that you are running the latest versions of PBS client and PBS server.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see your included pveversions.txt

Last edited:
Your PBS backup might be corrupt, have you checked by verifying the backup? Is this reproducible (new backup followed by immediate restore)? Also make sure that you are running the latest versions of PBS client and PBS server.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see your included pveversions.txt
Thank you for the feedback, yes the backup is verified, I also created a new datastore on another disk, do the backup and verify, restore the vm and it won't boot so yes, it's very much reproducible.

However, you actually solved it by your feedback. I suspected the boot partition got corrupted, so only thing i did to make it work was to restore to a local lvm instead of the ceph storage running the VM. If i restore the same pbs backup that failed before to local-lvm, it boots fine. If i do a harddisk move from this restored VM back to ceph, it still boots.
Somehow the restore from pbs to ceph does something that causes only this kind of boot partition to fail. I still don't know what but i can sleep well. It haunted me to have backups i could not use.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!