Small Proxmox Cluster

Digitaldaz

Renowned Member
Feb 19, 2014
Hi all,

I'm just about to set up a three node Proxmox cluster with Ceph.

The three machines will all be:

IBM System X3550 M4
Dual: 2.60 GHz Eight (octa) -Core Xeon (E5-2650 V2) - 3.40GHz Turbo Boost Speed - 8GT/20MB
Memory: 192GB - (24 x 8GB) - DDR3 ECC Reg
RAID: Standard M5110 Onboard RAID 512MB FBWC
Network Interface: 4 x 1GB + additional Dual Port Onboard 10GB SFP+ NIC
4 x 960GB SM863a SSD

I will be using the 10GB interfaces without a switch as per the Proxmox documentation, just linking them together with DAC.

I'm thinking that with the above I should get fairly decent throughput and latency but I'm wondering, should I hold off a little while and wait for the bluestore or will the performance enhancement not be that great?

The other big question is should I keep the M5110 RAID or replace with HBAs, I'm seeing differing opinions depending on which thread you read my initial instinct would have been to replace the RAID with 9211-8is.

Thanks

Daz

Hi,

I would ask the ceph user list, when you have a specific HW related question like this.
General it is always better to use a HBA.
Raid controller can make problems.

Reactions: someonelse
Thanks for the reply, good idea on checking with ceph, I will do that but in the meantime I have bitten the bullet and ordered three 9211-8i.

I also do not like the idea have having no redundancy on the OS drive so I think what I'm going to do is just put a single SAS cable into the 9211-8i and for now leave one in the IBM HW raid card. That way I figure I can put two 2 x 240GB SM863a in hardware RAID 1 as OS and put the 4 x 960GB SM863a on the 9211-8i. In my head that should work well at least :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!