small and cheap dev-server

ThorstenS

May 21, 2015
~
Hi, guys,
normally I use proxmox on HPE hardware at work.
But for at home I would like to have a small mainboard with a m.2 slot and at least 2 SATA ports and one pci-e for the gpu.
I would like to have 32GB RAM (I want to work with ZFS)

I am looking for a recommendation for a motherboard and CPU (capable for gpu pass through) that could meet my requirements.
I'm sure there are a lot of people here who have ryzen setups and could give me a recommendation for a setup.

Thank you very much!
/thorsten

Hi,

the GPU PCIe 16x Slot is at the most MWe like help if it has something to do with Proxmox VE, but this has nothing to do with it. MB direct attached to the CPU, so passthrough should not be a problem.
Avoid systems for SLI setup where multiple slots share the PCIe 16x lanes.
Or simply look for mainboards with fewer PCIe slots if you choose an AM4 or 1200/1151 platform

Recommend you consider the HP "Z" series of workstations; even back one or two generations. They are very similar to HPE server specifications (chipsets and bus) in some ways that will be familiar for you. Their pricepoint is (especially refurbished) very hard to beat. But they are workstations, not servers; so some things (like dual power supplies) aren't really like their servers. Toss in an enterprise SSD or two and you're on your way.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!