Sluggish Performance on host after upgrade to v8. Other v8 host seems fine.

ControlsEE

Jun 25, 2023
Hello, a while back I upgraded my two hosts to v8. On one machine, the upgrade went fine and works as it did before. My other machine had some issue with upgrading ( OP about the issues here: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/pve-v7-to-v8-problems.129505/ ) and was worried I had lost everything, but was able to get it back, albeit, with much worse performance than before. I hadn't really cared about it until recently when I have been working with that host more and am getting really annoyed at it. Everything from host responsiveness to network speeds seem to be affected. Unfortunately, this is the host with the largest amount of storage I have and is mostly used as a NAS. While it mostly holds backup data from various laptops and phones, which can just be re-backed up, there is some data that I do not want to lose so I don't want to just wipe the system and start fresh. Any suggestions before I spend a week copying TB's of files to a temporary HHD and wiping everything to start over? Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi,

If you didn't wiping your data in your PVE. I would first ask if the two hosts are with the same Hardware?

I also would test to boot from an older PVE kernel, and check the performance. If that didn't help, I would check the syslog, and please output of `pveversion -v` that give us overview about the issue.

Last suggest is to make sure that the server's BIOS/UEFI PCI firmware are up-to-date.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!