Slowly Endia on Proxmox

uwetr

Feb 10, 2009
Hi,

I'm currently in to move from XEN to KVM (Proxmox).

After converting my Win2k based PDC to Proxmox, I've tried to convert my Endian based Firewall/Router...

Yes I know that it would be better to have a physical machine as firewall, but it's for private use and my budget has some limits :)

Everything with qemu-img went fine and the Endian-Box is running on my Proxmox-Box.

Allthough I'm using the same resources (10GB virt. IDE HDD, 1024MB RAM, virt. Realtec NICs) as on the XEN-BOX it's running terrible slow on Proxmox. :-(

It takes ~10 times longer to open a website, catch some mails and so on.

I've even checked to use raw-format instead of cow2 and move the image to a "native" partition instead of the LVM, but no difference.

What am I doing wrong?
Does someone has a clue?

cheers,
Uwe

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm currently in to move from XEN to KVM (Proxmox).

After converting my Win2k based PDC to Proxmox, I've tried to convert my Endian based Firewall/Router...

Yes I know that it would be better to have a physical machine as firewall, but it's for private use and my budget has some limits :)

Everything with qemu-img went fine and the Endian-Box is running on my Proxmox-Box.

Allthough I'm using the same resources (10GB virt. IDE HDD, 1024MB RAM, virt. Realtec NICs) as on the XEN-BOX it's running terrible slow on Proxmox. :-(

It takes ~10 times longer to open a website, catch some mails and so on.

I've even checked to use raw-format instead of cow2 and move the image to a "native" partition instead of the LVM, but no difference.

What am I doing wrong?
Does someone has a clue?

How fast can you download big files (i.e., kernel sources from kernel.org with wget)?

Are you sure you don't have DNS servers misconfigured (i.e. resolv.conf on your client etc.)? Your symptoms seem to be typical for it.

Hi Mangoo,

How fast can you download big files (i.e., kernel sources from kernel.org with wget)?
I got 2 internet connections and a load balancing router.
So I can't controll which line will be used. Beside of this issue I could never say if somebody else is downloading something during the test-download. So a preceize measurement is not possible.
But I got the impression that the download speed is OK.

Are you sure you don't have DNS servers misconfigured (i.e. resolv.conf on your client etc.)? Your symptoms seem to be typical for it.
Jep, DNS is absolutly OK configured.

Like mentioend, the same configuration (same image) runs without problems on my 2nd machine which is still using XEN.

cheers,
Uwe

Hi Mangoo,

I got 2 internet connections and a load balancing router.
So I can't controll which line will be used. Beside of this issue I could never say if somebody else is downloading something during the test-download. So a preceize measurement is not possible.
But I got the impression that the download speed is OK.

Jep, DNS is absolutly OK configured.

Like mentioend, the same configuration (same image) runs without problems on my 2nd machine which is still using XEN.

cheers,
Uwe

So download speed is OK, only it takes long until it actually starts to download?
Can you confirm your DNS is OK, i.e. do for every entry from /etc/resolv.conf:

dig google.com @192.168.1.4
dig google.com @<another entry from /etc/resolv.conf>

and see if it returns your queries instantly.

Hi mangoo
So download speed is OK, only it takes long until it actually starts to download?
Can you confirm your DNS is OK, i.e. do for every entry from /etc/resolv.conf:

dig google.com @192.168.1.4
dig google.com @<another entry from /etc/resolv.conf>

and see if it returns your queries instantly.

is 11ms "instantly" ? :)

gastgeber2:/backup# dig google.com @192.168.1.254
; <<>> DiG 9.3.4-P1.1 <<>> google.com @192.168.1.254
; (1 server found)
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 24134
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 3, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;google.com. IN A
;; ANSWER SECTION:
google.com. 211 IN A 74.125.67.100
google.com. 211 IN A 74.125.45.100
google.com. 211 IN A 209.85.171.100
;; Query time: 44 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.1.254#53(192.168.1.254)
;; WHEN: Tue Feb 24 14:39:58 2009
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 76

gastgeber2:/backup# dig google.com @192.168.1.253
; <<>> DiG 9.3.4-P1.1 <<>> google.com @192.168.1.253
; (1 server found)
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 6582
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 3, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;google.com. IN A
;; ANSWER SECTION:
google.com. 277 IN A 209.85.171.100
google.com. 277 IN A 74.125.45.100
google.com. 277 IN A 74.125.67.100
;; Query time: 11 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.1.253#53(192.168.1.253)
;; WHEN: Tue Feb 24 14:40:26 2009
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 76

Maybe you could do me a favour and grab&install an FOC Endian-Community-ISO from here: http://www.endian.com/en/community/download/community-iso/

Let's see how fast the routing / proxy will be at your site...

cheers,
Uwe

I was trying to use Endian in my local home network but found it quickly degraded internet speeds. Did you find a way to make Endian faster?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!