Slow vzdump backups to NFS

Nov 3, 2011
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Hello

I am trying to backup virtual machines (LVM over iSCSi storage) in online mode but they are very slow. I have tested storage, network and cpu performance but can not work out what it is.

I have a dedicated machine with 22x 300GB SAS disks in raid 10 when I test with DD (if=/dev/zero) over NFS from a Proxmox node, I am achieving roughly 450-500MB/s write speeds.

When testing the speed of one of our storage servers using DD (of=/dev/null), I am achieving roughly 300MB/s.

When I use vzdump (no bwlimit/ionice 7) to backup using no compression (raw) I am achieving roughly 90MB/s...
With lzo compression I am achieving roughly 18-20MB/s.

The nodes are Intel Xeon 24 cores with 64GB ram with roughly 10% cpu usage and 30gb ram free.

Some may see 90MB/s as quite good but not when you are trying to backup 4TB of data each night.

Are there other/better backup methods?

Thank you in advance

Hi,

you try to backup a VM from a LVM over iSCSi storage.
What is the target storage?

I have a dedicated machine with 22x 300GB SAS disks in raid 10 when I test with DD (if=/dev/zero) over NFS from a Proxmox node, I am achieving roughly 450-500MB/s write speeds.
is this the write test to the backup storage?
If yes please retry with random data.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!