slow sata drives with default 4.3

karlos

Apr 11, 2010
I get that Proxmox is setup for enterprise but it works great for a home lab. Where slower drives are common...

3.2 all default settings with sata 7200 drives
Old desktop pc - FSYNCS of around 1200
I/O is ok

4.3 all default settings with sata 7200 drives
VMware on Windows PC - FSYNCS around 900
I/O is ok
Old desktop pc - FSYNCS < 100
I/O is aweful

So what has changed in 4.3 that the default install makes such a difference on this older hardware...
With my limited knowledge I found if I add barrier=0 too /etc/fstab:

/dev/pve/root / ext4 errors=remount-ro,barrier=0 0 1

buffered reads and fsyncs are as expected again.

Is this the correct method to fix I/O here?

barrier=1 by default

the default PVE5 install shows "/dev/pve/root / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1"

I then add barrier=1 "/dev/pve/root / ext4 errors=remount-ro,barrier=1 0 1"

Both ways on ssd and hdd fsyncs shows < 100

I change it too barrier=0 and fysncs >1000

Running barrier=0 isnt always a good option but the alternative slow IO on ext4 isnt viable
Perhaps going back to ext3 on VM drives is a better option?

Why is it when I install on Vmware under Win 10 on the same hardware without adding barrier=0 is the performance better than the install on real hardware (around 800 fysncs)

can someone make sence of that?

Running barrier=0 isnt always a good option but the alternative slow IO on ext4 isnt viable
Perhaps going back to ext3 on VM drives is a better option?

No, that would not help. Newer kernels fixed many fs bugs, and that comes with performance costs. For example, old ext3 installation simply used barrier=0 as default, so that was the reason why it was faster.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!