Slow restore between Proxmox 7.0 and NAS NFS

seg

Sep 20, 2021
Hello forum, I have the following scenario:
1 DELL Poweredge R740 xd Server with Proxmox 7.0 -> 10GbE
1 Synology NAS -> 1GbE

I am trying to do a restore from the NAS on my Proxmox 7.0 server, but it is very slow, the time it takes is between 120 and 180 minutes for a 21 GB .lzo backup with a transfer rate of 2 MB/s

I ran tests with Proxmox version 6.4 and got the same result.

I have checked on some forums and the problem seems to be with the linux kernel version 5.x.

The last test was to install Proxmox 5.3 and the restore took 16 minutes at a transfer rate of 22 MB/s. The transfer rate and time improved considerably.

I also ran iperf3 tests from my server to the NAS and the transfer rate results were between 20MB/s and 30MB/s.

According to the Proxmox roadmap:
Proxmox 7.0 -> debian 11 -> kernel 5.11
Proxmox 6.4 -> debian 10.9 -> kernel 5.4
Proxmox 5.3 -> debian 9.8 -> kernel 4.15

Do you have any idea how I can solve this situation in Proxmox 7.0?

Hello Guys,

We have made some tests and found out that the Kernel version is causing this issue.

When we use any kernel with version 5x ,this happens.
If we use the 4x version the transfers get much faster.

Any work around this issue ?

Regards

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!