Slow network speed when writing data to PVE host/vm

Nusu

May 23, 2024
When I copy data to my proxmox host or to a VM it copies only at 30MB/s max.
I tried moving data between VM's and containers and here I get the normal speed of my disks/ssd's.
When I copy data from the host to my pc I get the full speed (111MB/s) so I only have the issue when moving data to the host.
My host is a minisforum MS-01 and I have this issue both when copying to my internal SSD's and to external storage connected to it with a pcie adapter.
Does anyone have an idea what is causing this?

ZFS require datacenter drives to except better performance + will wearout quickly your drivers because of write amplification.

The drives I'm using are 12TB Seagate enterprise capacity helium drives, so those should be fine.
I also have the issue when I just connect a single drive or SSD.

Test network speed in both directions with iperf3 (needs to be installed on both ends, and one side needs to be listening)

e.g.

iperf3 -c 172.16.25.189

iperf3 -c 172.16.25.189 -R

Test network speed in both directions with iperf3 (needs to be installed on both ends, and one side needs to be listening)

e.g.

iperf3 -c 172.16.25.189

iperf3 -c 172.16.25.189 -R
Here is the output when ran on the proxmox server:
Server.png

Client.png

Incoming speed is terrible, and do you see those Retries on the 2nd pic? 289,53,16... This looks like a network issue, could be the kernel module driver or cabling or port on the switch.

Incoming speed is terrible, and do you see those Retries on the 2nd pic? 289,53,16... This looks like a network issue, could be the kernel module driver or cabling or port on the switch.
I tried a different port, cable and switch and nothing changed. Can I replace the driver somehow with a different version to test if this resolves the issue?

About the only thing you can do is try a different kernel, possibly compile an updated driver from source (not recommended), or replace the NIC with a better-supported model. Intel is usually a good bet unless it's certain 10Gbit models, those are broken in proxmox kernel 6.x

What is the output of ' lspci |grep -i ether '?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!