Slow lan speed in vms

sirjerk

Apr 26, 2024
Hi, i am new to proxmox or network in general but i am trying to play around and learn something...
I unfortunatley encontered a problem with my proxmox installation on a Intel NUC 13 Pro with a 2.5 GBe Intel i225-LM nic.

I tested with both a windows 10 vm and a ubunt machine connecting a nas and the proxmox machine first to thesame switch and then directly to the router but the transfer speeds from nas to vm won't ever go over 21/22 mb/s.

I tested with other machines (not vms) and the transfer speeds go up to 90 mb/s (since my newtork has only gigabit devices it won't go much over it).

and i can't understand why the transfer speed from nas to vm is that low while the transfer speed from vm to nas goes up to 100 mb/s whitout any problem.
and even wierder is the fact that when i do a speed test over the internet i have no problem reaching 900 mbit/s in download and 300 in upload

i am using 6.8.4-2-pve kernel and both vms are using virtIO nic.

any help is welcome!

Last edited:
How do you have your network configured in Proxmox and how do you have it configured in the VM?

How do you have your network configured in Proxmox and how do you have it configured in the VM?
I'm afraid you'll have to be more specific on what configuration you need to know... because if you put it like that, first thing that comes to mind are the ip, subnet, gateway and dns configuarations... which i don't think it's what you need, but just in case i have both the proxmox and the vm with on /24 subnet and same gateway and automatic dns (which would be same as gateway)

It would be interesting and hopefully helpful to see the contents of your /etc/network/interfaces file, as well as to understand how you have configured networking in your VM. Something like this screen:
Screenshot 2024-06-21 105526.jpg

It would be interesting and hopefully helpful to see the contents of your /etc/network/interfaces file, as well as to understand how you have configured networking in your VM. Something like this screen:
View attachment 70189
thanks for pointing me where i need to find the information! i really apreciate it, since, as i said, i'm really new to this..
Anyway, i attached the screenshots of what you requested :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-21 at 17.46.23.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-21 at 17.46.23.png
    77.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot 2024-06-21 at 17.47.50.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-21 at 17.47.50.png
    82.6 KB · Views: 13
So you showed the settings in the first pic of your linux bridge. I was hoping you would show us the network settings for the VM. Click on your VM, then go to hardware, then double click on the network device. I want to see which virtual NIC you are using, if you have anything set for rate limiting and if you are using multiqueue. On multiqueue, I set that number equal to the number of CPU cores in the processor settings for the VM

Sure, here is the screenshot of the vm network settings.
so, i tryed changing the multiqueue settign to 4 (the numbers of cores for this vm) right after i took the screenshot and i tryed the same transfer test with the same file as always but unfortunatley it did not change anything.

anybody has an idea of what it could be? if it was a problem with the vm configuration it should not affect other vms to.. so i don't really know what else to check... i tested againg the ethernet cable and the switch, i chaged them both but nothing seems to work.. it's driving me nuts since to copy anything from the machine on which i work to the nas it takes really long..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!