Slow KVM HDD Read Speeds, Suggestions?

o.ii.o

Aug 12, 2012
Hi All, I have an issue I can't seem to really solve at present and that is that disk speeds inside the KVMs are really slow.

4 disk Raid10 array on a 3Ware/LSI 9750 controller, Sata III HDDs.
Disk Read on Host Node: 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 1.08169 s, 993 MB/s
Disk Read inside 8gb KVM: 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 3.79095 s, 283 MB/s

Now I also have an SSD on the node, so I even tried fooling around with Flashcache and the same results, the actual disk reads won't increase. They drop as low as 180MB/s, it's like it literally refuses to go beyond 300MB/s. Cache for the KVMs is set to "No Cache."

Any pointers as to what is limiting the disk reads inside KVM would be appreciated. HDD mode is Virtio/Raw.

Last edited:
4 disk Raid10 array on a 3Ware/LSI 9750 controller, Sata III HDDs.
Cache for the KVMs is set to "No Cache."

Any pointers as to what is limiting the disk reads inside KVM would be appreciated. HDD mode is Virtio/Raw.
If you have a RAID controller which is batteri backup then try enable "write through".

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!