Slow KVM HAProxy vs LXC

jcbhltz22

Mar 8, 2021
Using a KVM with HAProxy installed shows significantly higher CPU usage and lower throughput when compared to a container with similar compute resources.

KVM ~350MBit/s throughput in HAProxy @ 100% CPU
LXC ~1GBit/s throughput in HAProxy @ 10% CPU

1. ) Machines are on the same LAN so this is not a routing issue.
2.) iPerf3 between machines is 1GBit. This leads me to believe this is not a network
3.) Settings in HAProxy are identical.

I am thinking this could be a CPU feature needs to be passed though to the VM that is not (I've enabled/disabled many for testing, including AES, but I do not see any notable performance changes).

Has anyone had this experience? Any help is much appreciated

Last edited:
do you have tried with host cpu model for the vm ? (to be sure to test with aes or other cpu flags).

also, what is the number of request/s ? (few small requests with big response, or a lot of requests with small responses ?)

do you have tried with host cpu model for the vm ? (to be sure to test with aes or other cpu flags).

also, what is the number of request/s ? (few small requests with big response, or a lot of requests with small responses ?)
Yes I have tried host and enabling AES and other features. Minor changes in throughput.
I have just been doing single large requests.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!