Slow drive speeds in Windows VM

smittyjones502

Oct 27, 2023
Hello all,

I'm fairly new to Proxmox, I have a VMware VCP-DCV. Currently looking at trying to switch to Proxmox in my home environment to be able to take advantage of being able to make ZFS storage instead of having to use a hardware RAID controller. My current test server is an R720, dual xeon 2.0GHZ 8/16, 128GB memory, Proxmox installed on a ZFS mirror using two 64GB M.2 drives installed in PCIe cards. So my first testing was done using an H710 hardware raid controller with two 146GB SAS drives in raid 1 for the os, and 6 900GB 10K sas drives in a raid 6 for vm storage. With that configured only getting about 350MB/s disk read speed on the vm storage array. That's when I said hell with it, "rebuilt" the server using the two 64GB m.2 ssd in zfs mirror for os, a single 1TB nvme gen 3 drive for vm storage, and a 8 disk enterprise SSD ZFS pool (tried RAID10 first then RAIDZ2). On the 1TB NVME, getting about the same speeds, maybe a little faster, down to like 160MB/s on the 8 drive ZFS pool. Changed the drive sync to writethrough, made it a little faster but not what I would think this pool should be capable of. So I made an iSCSI connection to my TrueNAS, get about the same 400ishMB/s read speeds. This same iSCSI connection in vmware gets over 1GB/s read. Like I said, i'm fairly new to Proxmox and this is my second time trying to see if this will be a viable replacement for VMware.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!