Slow Downloads, Normal Uploads

NickHough

Apr 22, 2020
Hello,

I've seen this question asked several times on this forums however have not found a suitable answer.

My issue is the following:
I have a Proxmox server, located on a physical server with a 10Gbps Network card (however my cabling and switch are only 1Gbps), primarily used to host An AD Server, a Database server and a FreeNAS server (for mass storage)

I'm used this guide: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Windows_10_guest_best_practices, to setup my Guest OS's (switching out OS type when needed)
However upon completion of the setup, i ran a IPerf3 test between my server and my local desktop.

Normally i should be getting +-800Mbps connection between my server and my desktop. This has been proven using IPerf3 on My laptop connected directly to my Switch (sat above my server in my garage - in a server rack) and connecting through to my Desktop PC in my house.

Now when using the Switch to Desktop i get 800Mbps using iperf3 -c x.x.x.x and iperf3 -c x.x.x.x -R (to simulate both download and upload speed testing for lan).

However when using Proxmox's Shell, i get 300Mbps using iperf -c x.x.x.x and 800Mbps using iperf3 -c x.x.x.x -R.
This is the same for any of the Guest OS's, so both Windows and FreeNAS are giving the same result.

I've turned off the firewall on the Proxmox server to test the inverse scenario and the results match i.e.
When running iperf3 -s on the Proxmos server and using iperf3 -c x.x.x.x on the desktop i get +-800Mbps and with iperf3 -c x.x.x.x -R on the desktop i get 300Mbps.

As a side note, i've updated all packages via the built in "Upgrade" option to ensure that i'm running the absolute latest version of everything.
I also do not have a Enterprise license yet as i wanted to ensure that everything was working 100% before commiting.

So long story short...
When i Download from the server, it runs at 300Mbps
When i Upload to the server, it runs at +-800Mbps

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks
Nick

P.S Before someone asks, i am using a fresh install of the latest ISO as of the day of this post.

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm still looking for help on this, has anyone found a resolution to anything similar to this in the past?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!