Slow down on vm, problem with IOPS?

juansantana

Oct 29, 2021
Hi people.
I set up a server with VE proxmox
It is with 128GB Ram Ecc, 2 NVMe M.2 1TB in RAID zfs parity. The virtual machine is using half the 64GB RAM, the rest is free/available. The problem is that developers are complaining about slow communication between our system and firebird database. They asked me to check the IOPS.

I decided to come here, to see what you guys suggest to improve this speed, I read something that the bottleneck may be in the ZFS pool, what is the suggestion to improve it? How to increase this IOPS?

I am immensely grateful for your help.
Sorry for my English.

Hi people.
I set up a server with VE proxmox
It is with 128GB Ram Ecc, 2 NVMe M.2 1TB in RAID zfs parity. The virtual machine is using half the 64GB RAM, the rest is free/available. The problem is that developers are complaining about slow communication between our system and firebird database. They asked me to check the IOPS.

I decided to come here, to see what you guys suggest to improve this speed, I read something that the bottleneck may be in the ZFS pool, what is the suggestion to improve it? How to increase this IOPS?

I am immensely grateful for your help.
Sorry for my English.
Hi,

We have had similar issues when using local disks, unfortunately... We have since moved all data to NFS Shares.

Tobias

Hi,
and you made a benchmark for IOPS before taking the system to production and made a current benchmark to compare if there is really a degration in IOPS? Sometimes developers/users just complain, cause they can complain..... ;-)

Anything changed in ZFS/Cache-Config? What is the NVMe Model? Consumer? Enterprise? What Server CPU? How many other VMs on host?

Hi,
and you made a benchmark for IOPS before taking the system to production and made a current benchmark to compare if there is really a degration in IOPS? Sometimes developers/users just complain, cause they can complain..... ;-)

Anything changed in ZFS/Cache-Config? What is the NVMe Model? Consumer? Enterprise? What Server CPU? How many other VMs on host?
Hi,

In our case it wasn't the developers - it was me wondering why some servers got unresponsive... after some trials I found out it had to do with the ZFS...

If you search the forum there are older posts about this...

Tobias

Hi,

In our case it wasn't the developers - it was me wondering why some servers got unresponsive... after some trials I found out it had to do with the ZFS...

Tobias
Ah sorry.... ok.. but was question for topic starter to get ideas how to help him.... ;)

Hi,

So, I started as a layman at the proxmox, I was studying with the articles that we have here.
I didn't know about IOPS I just did the raid using POOL ZFS.
We have an Intel Xeon e2690 v3 12 cores.
The NVME (Crucial P2 1TB, M.2 NVMe, Reads: 2400Mb/s and Writes: 1800Mb/s)
Just a VM.
As I'm new to proxmox, I don't know much about the becnhmark of iops. I thought I would just create the Pool and create the VM, and that's what I did.
However, the system has taken a long time in queries, before it was not virtualized, it was installed on a normal server.

I do not know where to start. :(

Hi,

Tobias
This would cause me a great deal of inconvenience :(

So, I started as a layman at the proxmox, I was studying with the articles that we have here.
I didn't know about IOPS I just did the raid using POOL ZFS.
We have an Intel Xeon e2690 v3 12 cores.
The NVME (Crucial P2 1TB, M.2 NVMe, Reads: 2400Mb/s and Writes: 1800Mb/s)
Just a VM.
As I'm new to proxmox, I don't know much about the becnhmark of iops. I thought I would just create the Pool and create the VM, and that's what I did.
However, the system has taken a long time in queries, before it was not virtualized, it was installed on a normal server.

I do not know where to start. :(
Crucial P2 1TB, M.2 NVMe please read about using Consumer-SSDs in Enterprise-Grade-Virtualisation Software and what ZFS does with those SSDs....
In my opinion there is no chance that this will ever get "fast" on ZFS.... Sorry....

If it is just 1 VM you might have better options by using that Server and install your OS/Software bare metal on it....

If you just want a software raid1 and don't care about reliability or ZFS features you could also try to use mdadm which should result in a lower overhead. But mdadm isn't officially supported and you would need to install PVE ontop of of a Debian.

And to quote the "Proxmox VE ZFS Benchmark with NVMe" paper Page 8:
Can I use consumer or pro-sumer SSDs, as these are much cheaper than enterprise-class SSD?
No. Never. These SSDs wont provide the required performance, reliability or endurance. See the fio results from before and/or run your own fio tests.

That paper is also a good entry point in how to benchmark your disks for IOPS using fio. Just make sure you don't set a device as the target if that device isn't empty.

Last edited:
Reactions: itNGO
Crucial P2 1TB, M.2 NVMe please read about using Consumer-SSDs in Enterprise-Grade-Virtualisation Software and what ZFS does with those SSDs....
In my opinion there is no chance that this will ever get "fast" on ZFS.... Sorry....

If it is just 1 VM you might have better options by using that Server and install your OS/Software bare metal on it....
I didn't know about it. The lack of knowledge got me down. :confused:

In my current situation what's best to do?
If I can't change the SSD.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!