Slow Container Upload Speeds

SkilledAlpaca

Nov 21, 2020
I've spent some time in on this issue and I'm at a loss. I'm attempting to host a music bot using a container running Ubuntu 20.04 (also tested on Debian 10). The music is choppy but the host has plenty of resources. I've tried three different bots and they all have the same issue which then led me to verifying networking performance. My home speeds are `900Mbs/35Mbps` and I stream on Twitch occasionally without issue or dropped frames. This server also hosts several Minecraft servers in a VM and users don't seem to have an issue except when I saturate my connections while they're online.

Below are the various test results I've attempted and I just can't seem to figure it where the issue is. I can post any logs that are requested but please let me know how to obtain them as I am still new to Linux as whole.

---
speedtest-cli from Container
Code:
Ping: 8.46 ms
Download: 515.49 Mbit/s
Upload: 29.98 Mbit/s

Container to iperf.scottlinux.com
Code:
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate         Retr
[  5]   0.00-30.00  sec  9.54 MBytes  2.67 Mbits/sec  375             sender
[  5]   0.00-30.03  sec  9.45 MBytes  2.64 Mbits/sec                  receiver

CT to VM acting as host
Code:
[  5]   0.00-60.00  sec   161 GBytes  23.1 Gbits/sec  786             sender
[  5]   0.00-60.00  sec   161 GBytes  23.1 Gbits/sec                  receiver

VM to CT acting as host
Code:
[  5]   0.00-60.00  sec   116 GBytes  16.7 Gbits/sec  0             sender
[  5]   0.00-60.00  sec   116 GBytes  16.7 Gbits/sec                  receiver

speedtest-cli from Container
this test shows that the network generally reaches high speeds which means that it seems the choppiness stems not from the network

Container to iperf.scottlinux.com
i also get here only 10mbit/s (from my host) so it seems the connection there is not really fast

all in all, i'd either check (e.g. with iperf) the connection between the server and the actual client where you stream
or try to debug this on an application level instead

this test shows that the network generally reaches high speeds which means that it seems the choppiness stems not from the network
Is there any other tests I can check? Also it seem when I'm saturating my connection to one VM the others seem to have issue with network connectivity.

i also get here only 10mbit/s (from my host) so it seems the connection there is not really fast
Alright that seems pretty standard from other people that have tested so I'm not to terribly worried.

all in all, i'd either check (e.g. with iperf) the connection between the server and the actual client where you stream
or try to debug this on an application level instead
I wish I had the ability to check latency with Discord but I'll look around. Thank you for your response.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!