Slow boot times with lxc

An old thread but wanted to say that I have the same issues with slow starting Containers (LXC) . Searched for about two days for a solution, read logs etc and then finally stumbled over this thread.

Changed the IPv6 Settings for the container from DHCP to SLAAC and now the container start in seconds and is accessible over ssh also in seconds after start.

Thank you for your help. And sorry if this makes some mod angry because I dug up an old thread!

Thank you very much and have a nice day!

Just wanted to reply that I've had this issue for well over a year and never found an answer. But, changing IPv6 for SLAAC also solved my problems. I guess when the network was starting it was stuck at DHCP for IPv6 on my network. I will have to read up on what SLAAC is and why it solved the problem...

The strange part is that when I first create and start a container it never has this issue, only when it starts for the second and subsequent times.
Still relevant (e.g. if you change fixed IP setting to DHCP and did not think about your router not handing out ipv6). Thanks!

One more year, now PVE 7.4-3, and ... I run into the same issues: my 1st lxc container required minutes to boot. But thanx to this thread, the issue is solved :D, start is more or less instantaneous. Great !

Best Regards, Wumpus

Last edited:
Still relevant (e.g. if you change fixed IP setting to DHCP and did not think about your router not handing out ipv6). Thanks!
Setting IPv6 to `Static` with no address also works.

SLAAC generates an address and then runs some duplicate detection, which adds some small overhead at least. I'm not sure what the overhead of SLAAC is but if you don't intend to use IPv6 (and you probably don't if you're reading this thread because IPv6 DHCP didn't work for you) you may as well disable IPv6 entirely.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!