Slow backups

I turned on jumbo frames on my switch, set usable MTUs on both ends (the proxmox node and storage system). No improvements there whatsoever in backups.

atime is turned off on the storage end, so is it even possible for the NFS mount to override that???

I've not messed with NFS for a long time so I can't really suggest anything specific, just some things to research on your own.

Look into Jumbo Frames, increase MTU, NFS mount options: rsize, wsize and noatime.

What is your rsize and wsize set to? Maybe post the relevant entry output of $>mount?

Code:
(rw,relatime,vers=3,rsize=131072,wsize=131072,namlen=255,hard,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys,mountaddr=REDACTED,mountvers=3,mountport=662,mountproto=udp,local_lock=none,addr=REDACTED)

These are the parameters that have been set by the proxmox web gui, I haven't modified them in any way.

What is your rsize and wsize set to? Maybe post the relevant entry output of $>mount?

as someone else wrote earlier : "In my testlab here I daily backup two VMs over NFS, using vzdump live backup for KVM machines, raw throughput oscilate between 50/60MBs for the first one running on SSD, and 10/20MBs for the second one running on a busy SATA drive."

over the years I've found the same. transfer rate depends on storage speed at nfs AND how compressible the vm is.

Hi guys i have a problem on one of the machines on the server. Debian os 10. No problem with other machines. Please help with a solution??

1660219666617.png

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!