Single public ip bridged network but can't ping gateway

curlymo

May 23, 2020
I have a VPS on which i run Proxmox 6.2-1. The VPS has one single IP address assigned. On this VPS i want to run various websites, all configured in separate containers. HTTP and HTTPS trafic is redirected to a container that acts as the reverse proxy for the other containers.

All is working well as configured below. The reverse proxy container can reach and redirect trafic to the appropriate container, all containers can reach each other, and they all have internet connection. However, i can't ping the host bridge from within my reverse proxy container.

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto ens18
iface ens18 inet dhcp

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 10.0.0.254/24
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        broadcast 10.0.0.255
        network 10.0.0.0
        gateway 10.0.0.1

bridge-ports none
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

post-up echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

post-up iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ens18 -j MASQUERADE
        post-down iptables -t nat -D POSTROUTING -o ens18 -j MASQUERADE

post-up iptables -t raw -I PREROUTING -i fwbr+ -j CT --zone 1
        post-down iptables -t raw -D PREROUTING -i fwbr+ -j CT --zone 1

post-up iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -i ens18 -p TCP -d xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/32 --dport 443 -j DNAT --to-destination 10.0.0.100:443
        post-up iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -i ens18 -p TCP -d xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/32 --dport 80 -j DNAT --to-destination 10.0.0.100:80

So, container 10.0.0.100 can ping 10.0.0.101 and 8.8.8.8 however, can't ping 10.0.0.254.

Forgot to say i also got a firewall running. Adding this rule fixed my issue:
Code:
iptables -A PVEFW-HOST-IN -s 10.0.0.0/24 -j RETURN

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!