Single nic to multiple vmbr's possible?

strandvaskeren

May 7, 2017
Hi there.

I'm a long time user of proxmox, thank you for a great product.

My main setup is three diskless Dell R620's clustered and connected via fibre channel to a diy san - live migration in ms and all that fun.

Due to the state of the current energy market and prices, I'm working on a setup to offload my vm's onto lesser and more power efficient equipment some of the time, more specifically onto some low power single nic pc's.

My current obstacle is the allocation of nics and vmbr's.

My R620's all have 4 nics each.

eno1 is my management vlan, untagged.
eno2 is live internet straight from my isp, also untagged.
eno3 and eno4 is an LACP bond with tagged traffic from my switch.

vmbr0 is connected to eno1
vmbr1 is connected to eno2
vmbr2 is connected to bond0 and is vlan aware

This works great for me. Most of my VM's use only wmbr2 and are tagged to whatever vlan they belong to. I ran pfsense virtualized for a while, "translating" live internet from vmbr1 for the different vlans on vmbr2, again no issues.

My newest proxmox is a pc with a single nic, hooked up to a tagged port on my switch with my management vlan running untagged. That also works.

Now I know I can just hook up eno1 on the single nic pc to vmbr0 and have all my vm's use vmbr0 and tagged traffic, but I would really like to clone the vmbr setup of my R620's so a VM transferred from an R620 to my new single nic pc would work straight out of the box.

Is there any way to create a single nic setup looking something like this:

vmbr0 connected to eno1 vlan aware
vmbr1 connected to eno1 vlan aware
vmbr2 connected to eno1 vlan aware

or maybe:

vmbr0 connected to eno1 untagged
vmbr1 connected to eno1 tagged vlan 100
vmbr2 connected to eno1 tagged vlan 10,20,30,40,50 / vlan aware?

It would be so much easier to migrate VM's between systems if they all ended up seeing the usual vmbr's.

Getting closer, almost there, but only almost.

I asked my switch to tag all traffic, so no more untagged.

I created a Linux VLAN interface in proxmox and named it eno1.10 and bound my new interface to vmbr0 - now my proxmox management interface accepts traffic tagged with 10.

I created a second Linux VLAN interface named eno1.100 and bound it to vmbr1 for live internet use.

Finally I connected vmbr2 to interface eno1 and made it vlan aware.

It almost works the way I need, my vm's can use vmbr and add a vlan tag for all other vlans than 10 and 100.

...almost there..

Last edited:
Finally cracked it.

The main objective was to be able to move vm's between hosts without having to reconfigure their settings.

All my vm's connect to vmbr2 with a vlan tag. Only a couple of vm's use vlan 10 (my management vlan).

My new single nic proxmox host now has it's management ip on vmbr2 untagged and my switch is set to run vlan 10 untagged and all others tagged on the port to my new proxmox host.

I then told my switch that on the lacp bonds to my R620's vlan 10 should also be untagged and all other vlans tagged.

Finally I modified the networks settings on those couple of vm's that actually uses vlan 10 to use vmbr2 untagged rather than vmbr2 tagged with vlan 10.

So the answer lay in my switch setup, now I'm free to mve my vm's around between the proxmox hosts without further modifications.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!